Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Good Idea When Using Adjustable Voltage Regulators

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
This article from EDN points out a potential problem when using a pot and adjustable voltage regulator like an LM317 – if the pot gets intermittent, the load will be subject to an "Oh crap" full-supply-voltage moment. I had never considered that possibility before but this could make for a bad day depending on what the load is.

The fix is pretty simple, requiring a single transistor to clamp the voltage if the pot opens.

SmartSelect_20230331_111645_Edge.jpg

Thanks, I have a home-brewed dual power supply which I have used, almost daily, for the past 15 or so years.
Although I employed high quality multiturn pots which have proved reliable over the years, they could become AWOL anytime.

The paper shows a similar arrangement for negative regulators as well.

Thanks for the tip. This is a very good point, especially when working with breadboards where components and/or connecting wires can accidentally become disconnected from the circuits. An ounce of prevention here can save a pound of chips. The clamp is important, I will be adding one to each of the three terminal regulator stages in the supplies used for prototyping and testing. Plus, now I can put to use some of the (hopefully) pre-counterfeit era 2N3906 and similar BJT's I stocked long ago which have remained unused.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back