Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op-Amps suggestions for Instrumentation Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavjayt

Hi,

I am trying to build a circuit to implement the schematic attached (taken from **broken link removed**). I have an input signal coming from a photo diode with -3dB Electrical bandwidth of 160MHz that has differential output. Eventually I want to amplify that signal (to 50dB about 500 times) and convert into single ended output.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• opamp21[1].gif
    opamp21[1].gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 129
You'll get greater accuracy by buying an instrumentation amplifier rather than trying to build one from opamps.

Your photo-diode may well have a 160MHz bandwidth, but what bandwidth will you actually be using?

You definitely don't want to try to built your own at those frequencies. :eek:

One listed in this search should work for you.
But it still will require careful layout and decoupling on a circuit board with a ground plane.
Don't even think about trying a solderless breadboard. ;)

You definitely don't want to try to built your own at those frequencies. :eek:

Don't even think about trying a solderless breadboard. ;)
Exactly, hence my search for a good op-amp or equivalent so that I can start by using demo SMT boards and try out different op-amps.

Exactly, hence my search for a good op-amp or equivalent so that I can start by using demo SMT boards and try out different op-amps.
Why do you insist on using op amps when a differential IC amp is much better suited to the job? :confused:

I meant op-amp or equivalent which includes differential amps as well, definitely not tied to using op-amps only :)
Okay.
Generally common usage of the terms is that an op amp is considered to be distinctly different from a differential amp, even though op amps do have a differential input.

Okay.
Generally common usage of the terms is that an op amp is considered to be distinctly different from a differential amp, even though op amps do have a differential input.
Thanks for clearing up, I never had to use differential amps till now, so not that knowledgeable in them.

Last edited:
Eventually I want to amplify that signal (to 50dB about 500 times) and convert into single ended output.
320MHz is what I am aiming for.
1) The module you picked has gain inside. I don't think you need a gain of 5oox more.

2) "Gain band width" Here is a graph of a 1ghz op-amp.
It works to 1ghz with a gain of 1.
It works to 100mz with a gain of 10.
It works to 10mhz with a gain of 100.
I don't think there is a single amp that will give you a gain of 500x at 300mhz.
You can use several stages of gain to get to 500x.
Probably you want "differential" to "single ended" and a gain of 1 or 2 or many be 10 at most.
10x at 300mhz = 3gh
upload_2017-7-26_7-54-17.png
z amp minimum.

I don't think there is a single amp that will give you a gain of 500x at 300mhz.
You can use several stages of gain to get to 500x.
Probably you want "differential" to "single ended" and a gain of 1 or 2 or many be 10 at most.
10x at 300mhz = 3ghView attachment 107258z amp minimum.

Thanks for your reply Ron,
I am pretty sure I have to end up using multiple stages of gain if I want to achieve 50dB. But since I am not that familiar with differential amps, thought I would just put my specs out so that knowledgeable people like you can give your suggestions.

Nice, so a gain of 10 gives you 2V.
Is that single ended? Using a scope?
What is the next stage? ADC??

Nice, so a gain of 10 gives you 2V.
Is that single ended? Using a scope?
What is the next stage? ADC??
I think I gave you the wrong number as +/-200mV, I did some calculations today for a real-world situation and the max we can get is about +/-12mV output signal from the module.

Here is what I am planning on doing, using the differential output from the module, convert into SE signal while doing about Gain of 2 to 5 within this stage and then use multiple stages of op-amps to amplify the signal to 1V max. For amplifying SE signal, I am thinking of using two MAX4305 followed by a MAX4105 and MAX4101 (as buffer) all in series.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back