Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One motor, Two Speed Contollers (how to wire it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy549

Hello All,
I need your help, I have one 12 volt 10 amp gear motor and I have two speed controllers. One for foward, one for reverse. I had planed on using a feedback speed controller, but its a lot cheaper and less head ache to use two seperate speed controllers. I need to use two because the motor is pulling and pushing a relativly heavy weight and I am trying to get similar speeds in forward and in reverse. I just need a little help on how to wire it safely. Both of speed contollers are 12 v 15 amps.

Thanks

If this is a dc motor, you dont need two speedos to control direction...

Use a Double pole double throw switch to swap the motor conections....

Attachments

• switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 499
motor reversing

Chippie is right,you don't need 2 speed controlers,(I presume you are using PWMs) all you need to do is make sure the PWM is capable of drawing 15 amps continuous,(many PWMs don't survive.& the mosfet fails) I allways "over spec" them by either fitting a higher rated mosfet,or fitting 2 similar ones,& an extra heat-sink & fan.Also make sure the switch contacts can cope with the current (they could burn out) I think it's best to go for an upgrade straight away,to avoid future problems.This is what I would suggest;Use a 30amp PWM,& two 5 pin,CO 16amp Relays,controlled by a 3 position switch.suitably rated wires for the main supply & lighter gauge for the remote control.
It's a simple circuit, good luck.Terry:

Attachments

• reversing.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 272
  • PWM diagram.jpg
    PWM diagram.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,217
Last edited:
Hi Terry,

please tell me secret how to get such huge file sizes. :confused:

When I create PDFs they have a maximum file size of 500KB (for one sheet)

BTW, the IC name is missing on page2 of "reversing". Supposedly it's an NE556.

Boncuk

I need the motor to travel at a certain speed going forward and a different speed going backwards.

Can you post up details of your speed controllers so we can see how the speed is adjusted ?

It may be that we can use another switch to switch between two pots that are set to give differing speeds back and forth...

Hi,Boncuk, Search for Primo PDF, & DOWNLOAD THE FREE TRIAL version,I was so impressed with it,I subscribed to the full version.The system installs as a printer,in your printers & faxes folder,and when you press print,it gives you option to select it;1st create printable files (keep them in a seperate folder to find easy) press print,& primo will give you the choice which files to "merge together)you should not have any problems uploading the PDF,If you have trouble uploading BIG files,try "Yousendit Express" o.k. the IC for the PWM is LM324N,it's a 14 pin chip & very cheap to buy,
allways install it on a 14 pin socket.the Mosfets are of your choice,just go for a high power N Channel version. the PDF I've posted is one of my early attempts,now I've seen it again,I will create a better one: good luck;

Last edited:
Just a quick reply,while I get my head round this one,as Chippie suggests,it's possible to acheive this with 1 speed controller,as you know the current draw from a PWM is controlled by the "pot",it is possible to create a circuit with 2 settings (either adjustable or pre-set) it would help if you could say what you intend to use it for,e.g is the set up static ? or does it need to travel around.this is important to determine how you will control it via remote.

Hi,Boncuk, Search for Primo PDF, & DOWNLOAD THE FREE TRIAL version,I was so impressed with it,I subscribed to the full version.The system installs as a printer,in your printers & faxes folder,and when you press print,it gives you option to select it;1st create printable files (keep them in a seperate folder to find easy) press print,& primo will give you the choice which files to "merge together)you should not have any problems uploading the PDF,If you have trouble uploading BIG files,try "Yousendit Express" o.k. the IC for the PWM is LM324N,it's a 14 pin chip & very cheap to buy,
allways install it on a 14 pin socket.the Mosfets are of your choice,just go for a high power N Channel version. the PDF I've posted is one of my early attempts,now I've seen it again,I will create a better one: good luck;

I use "PDF-Creator" which does exactly the same with a small difference: It's freeware. :)

I don't only have problems uploading but also downloading files. It can only be corrected if the ISP provides more bandwidth.

You're right about the PDF Creator,I tried it and it works o.k. So I'll keep this one thanks;However,you said that you had problems with uploading & downloading big files,I suggested that you try Yousendit Express,the free trial version lets you upload 1 big file at a time ,and sends a link to the recipient to download it.I now use the activated version,which gives me the option to upload 5 big files at a time,as many times I want.it also gives me 40gb of bandwidth,you've got nothing to loose.

bi-directional speed control

I don't know how you are progressing with your project,so I thought you might like to look at different PWMs,including Bi- directional speed controling,so here is a PDF.

SORRY,THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE FORUM'S UPLOADING SYSTEM,
So if you need the PDF,just send me your email address and I'll send it to you. if you need mine it's tblo@o2.co.uk (untill 23rd july) then I'm changing it to tbblo@btinternet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back