Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

On/Off Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

card9inal

Looking for a circuit that can turn a relay on an off in a certain way...

I'd like to use a momentary pushbutton that can be a "push-and-hold" to turn on, then upon release of the button, the circuit turns off. When the button is quickly depressed and released, the circuit is on, until the button is depressed and released again.

So basically, a hybrid of a push on/push off, and a momentary.

This will be used to turn a microphone on and off. There will be times when it will be necessary to have the microphone "hot" for a prolonged period of time that makes it impossible to push a button for that length of time. But at other times, the push to talk is necessary.

Thanks!!!

I wager this can be done based on just a CD4013 IC and a few R's and C's.

Otherwise, a PIC would do it easily.

Last edited:
Some one posted this on another thread, It may help.

Attachments

• PushOnPushOffRelay.gif
    PushOnPushOffRelay.gif
    9 KB · Views: 233
How hard is it to program a PIC? I'm an electronics newbie...

What language does it use? I don't have much experience with programming languages.

In the schematic that was posted, are the NC/NO drawings relays? Or analog switches, or what?

Thanks for your help!!

The drawing shows a DPDT relay.

PIC's can be programed with C, Asm, or basic, if you are new to programming languages it may be best to get one shown below.

Here is a pre-porgramed pic to do the job.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
i want to make an electronic project. how can i do it? please give me some easy but intellgent suggestions. on which topic i can express my project of electronic.

How hard is it to program a PIC? I'm an electronics newbie...
What language does it use? I don't have much experience with programming languages.<..>
Thanks for your help!!

I think the learning curve for anyone would be too steep to attain the required skills and procure the development tools etc.

The way forward for this I suggest is reset this thread (or re-post) this "for the attention of a PIC code 'sponsor', looking for something to do."

Ideally someone (maybe same person) can mail you a programmed PIC to use, as an act of goodwill.

requirements:

Looking for a circuit that can turn a relay on an off in a certain way...

I'd like to use a momentary pushbutton that can be a "push-and-hold" to turn on, then upon release of the button, the circuit turns off. When the button is quickly depressed and released, the circuit is on, until the button is depressed and released again.

So basically, a hybrid of a push on/push off, and a momentary.

This will be used to turn a microphone on and off. There will be times when it will be necessary to have the microphone "hot" for a prolonged period of time that makes it impossible to push a button for that length of time. But at other times, the push to talk is necessary.

Thanks!!!

here's the quick and dirty macgiver way to do it :eek:
glue the bottom of a push button on the button of one of those clicky switches like the ones used to turn on and off an old monitor.
and then connect their pins in parallel.
Now you have 2 push stages:
1- continuous pressure
2- if you push further more you'll activate the 'permenant' switch
:)

Attachments

• dfsfdfsdf.JPG
    dfsfdfsdf.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 167
here's the quick and dirty macgiver way to do it :)

Hey that's really ingenious trennonix!!! **broken link removed**

Reminds me of a prestige car I once had, the 'Hooter' button had a special switch that was pressure sensitive, if you pressed hard it was louder.

Last edited:
It's for turning ON/OFF just a microphone. Isn't it?

How complicated it'll be by using a IC based circuit and bulky relays and power supply?

So I would suggest a parallel implementation of a momentary push button and a push to ON switch. Leave unnecessay headaches.

I thought about having two buttons, one for momentary, and the other for push to talk, but there are a few problems with that...

1) The enclosure this will live in already has a bunch of buttons in it, (about 11 total) and it has to remain as small as possible. It is part of a remote broadcast kit, and will need to remain small and light since it will need to be packed in a road case along with a bunch of other gear and travel every week.

2) If there are two buttons, it will be easy to get confused, and you may end up pushing the incorrect button. Which normally wouldn't be a problem, unless you were finishing talking to the person on the other end, and you start bashing them and then realize that you hit the toggling button and your mic was still on!

3) Ideally, the button would have status LED's so you'd know either way if your mic was on or off.

4) Mike, thanks for the info on that IC, I was actually looking at that for another part of this system. If I'm reading this correctly, if you were to push and hold this button, it would still toggle once, right? In the push and hold, I wouldn't like it to toggle, just make until released, then break. However, for push to toggle, it would work great! Just figuring out how to get the combo of the two functions would be awesome.

5) I'll try to post that thread about looking for someone to program a PIC.

Thanks for all of your help... If anyone has any other ideas, I totally welcome them! You guys are the best...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back