Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

omg omg omg omg

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
So I had always planned to rip 6 suspension units off of an RC truck (actually I had planned to buy the aluminum *bling* versions separate and somehow mount the whole thing on my base) so that I could get a robot with suspension that would have independent steering on each wheel so it could turn on the spot and climb stairs and stuff without getting hung up...would have cost $2200 and I would still have to find a way to mount it all to a base and retrofit the whole thing to run on electric motors...

but then I found out there are RC rock crawlers so I took a look. And OMG. They have practically all of this taken care of! The suspension can go over huge huge obstacles and you can practically twist the chassis from the suspension. Sure it has only 4 wheels, but it doesn't get caught up on stuff anyways. The wheels also seem to be unlinked from each other so I should be able to easily fit a steering servo for each one for independent steering so I can turn on the spot. They also seem to use way way more metal parts than normal RC trucks (even though I despise cars I like bling on my robots). it also costs half the price as it did before (or at least the same if I buy the transmission and everything else but then it's all made to go together instead of me using my shoddy mechanic skills). Check it out!

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

...Yes I know I need a gf to stop me from getting so excited over something so silly lol.

Last edited:
That's 900 dollars for JUST the frame suspension and differential.

Sceadwian said:
That's 900 dollars for JUST the frame suspension and differential.
I know, but compared to the original 2200CAD for just the suspension it's cheap lol.

dknguyen said:
...Yes I know I need a gf to stop me from getting so excited over something so silly lol.

Naww, I've got one and I still get excited over stuff like that:p She just rolls her eyes...... like this....:rolleyes:

Does seem expensive, but then again looks like alot of work to build in small quantity. You could get a decent mill for that kind of money and make your own, but it would take forever.

The mill would be WAY more fun in my opininon, and you could get one for probably the cost of a couple cars, and you'd be able to build your own, but I find more fun in the technical area of R/C hobbies than in the actual driveing/flying

I find the electrical part more interesting than the mechanical part, yet I want a really good mechanical platform for everything so my hands are somewhat tied. (I'd rather spend my time building the electronics for the robot rather than the mechanics).

Realistically, it comes down to time. I just don't have time to learn the milling skills required. I doubt I'd ever be able to build something like a differential or transmission though...hehe. Most of the time I'd be using a mill to modify motor shafts so I can mount them to wheels (which I find to be a giant pain in the ass).

It's worth the money then.

Maybe I should learn how to square motor shafts with a lathe (or is it a mill that does that?) at the university...but no time :(

I think you would want a mill to square shafts. I don't know of any way to do it on a lathe. A mill and lathe would be fun tools to have. The possibilities of what you can make are endless. They both are definatly on my want list;) Now I just need to come up with a pile of money:D

yo kid;
if any of ya wanna get the printed circiut board(PCB) of any of your project, just send me the circuit diagram of that i will provide you the netting. mail me in: aritra_05_11@yahoo.co.in

I think we all know this already since your PMing everyone to tell them about your PCB service.
Stop spamming. If you want to advertise, The Forum owner is renting out advertisement space on this website.

Read here.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/advertising-available.87425/

Last edited:
I once made my own shocks for my little rock crawler using my mini-lathe as the stock units were not up to par.
I used brass and aluminum parts. Shafts were hard steel. See pics

Attachments

• DSC01069.jpg
    DSC01069.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC01071.jpg
    DSC01071.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 780
Oh, just remembered. Here is an exploded view of the shock I made from my 3d program.

Attachments

• shocks.jpg
    shocks.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 270
I can't believe those RC crawlers can add up to $o much inve$tment considering they basically are a toy!!!:eek: Then again I guess it's like most other things in life... for example, you can spend $50 for a cheap riflescope or $1200 for a scope that will look beyond the targeted animal, around the mountain's bend, into the village down in the valley, and through a second floor bedroom window of a bungalow!! One can buy a vacuum tube EICO 5MHz oscilloscope for $20 or a $3500 Tektronix with traceable calibration.

I can't believe those RC crawlers can add up to $o much inve$tment considering they basically are a toy!!!:eek: Then again I guess it's like most other things in life... for example, you can spend $50 for a cheap riflescope or $1200 for a scope that will look beyond the targeted animal, around the mountain's bend, into the village down in the valley, and through a second floor bedroom window of a bungalow!! One can buy a vacuum tube EICO 5MHz oscilloscope for $20 or a $3500 Tektronix with traceable calibration.

The trick is to find the proper balance between the extremes, as in any engineering task, using logic rather then emotional and subjective reasons . ;)

Lefty

Last edited:
Some really nice parts on those pages! I was relieved that the price for the aluminum wheels was for four, not one. :p

I find the electrical part more interesting than the mechanical part, yet I want a really good mechanical platform for everything so my hands are somewhat tied. (I'd rather spend my time building the electronics for the robot rather than the mechanics).

Realistically, it comes down to time. I just don't have time to learn the milling skills required. I doubt I'd ever be able to build something like a differential or transmission though...hehe. Most of the time I'd be using a mill to modify motor shafts so I can mount them to wheels (which I find to be a giant pain in the ass).

Well I know you would rather power it with electric motors, but I'm sure for the sense of scale, and what can be done on a mill, you will enjoy this:

Moyer Made - Projects: 1/6th Scale Chevrolet V8

Babbit Bearings huh?.........he will never get it to run more than a few minutes!

Babbit Bearings huh?.........he will never get it to run more than a few minutes!

I think you are a bit off there; I know that is ancient tech and it wasn't too good in the fifties, but for such a light weight crank, they should last a while.

I do agree with Nigel, though: too much time! :p

A 'Vette motor is nice, but it will never upstage "the" famous motor that has its ignition wires entering through the valve covers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back