Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Object Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachjack

Hello!

I am interested in building some sort of object tracking device - I was hoping to not have to use an actual camera for bandwidth and processing reasons.

The project idea would be some sort of wand tracking for a VR headset.

The requirements for the tracking system would be short range (<2m) and fairly high accuracy. What sort of technologies would be most appropriate for this style of tracking?

Thank you in advance for your help.

welcome!
tracking what?

the easiest hardware wise is with a camera, feel free to lower resolution
i enjoyed working with the kinect as it has built in person tracker/identifier for faster processing, and has depth sensor to put image in 3d enviroment

if you are just tracking a hand or head i have see some cool wii projects on youtube
I have seen other hand tracking with special type of wires in a glove that changes properties when bent,
or devices with gyroscopes and accelerometers but there s a bit of math behind that one

since you mention vr headset, some of the libraries I have seen around are OPENGL & PCL but they use c++
I am doing a small 3d environment but in c#, I used OPENTK (opengl equivalent for c#), and brushed with OPENCV for image processing, I found OPENTK to be very easy(considering) to work with, and with just a few extra lines of code it was able to convert to a 3D world projection on my 3DTV in 3D!

BE CAREFUL though! testing excessive parameters on your depth perception can leave you dizzy and not able to look at a monitor for days...

Last edited:
(For the the uninitiated, like me:), VR= virtual reality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_headset#History. )

Hy zackjack,

Which state are you at: care to put it on your profile window on the left of your posts?

Just a thought, would Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) be of any interest? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification

RFID would be quite cheap to implement and would use minimum bandwidth, but it would mean that each item to be tracked would need to be fitted with a small RFID tag.

spec

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back