Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Numbers of cooling fan for a heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mading2018

I am trying to figure out if I need only one fan for my heatsink or more?
I asking cause the fan that I have selected do not cover the entire heatsink area. Does it means that I need to have more fans
in order to maximize the cooling from the heatsink?

In that case, if my fan needs to have a speed of 9m/s, and I lets say I have 4 fans.
Does each fan still need 9 m/s ? or is it enough to have only 2.25 m/s for each /fan?

Thank you

In that case, if my fan needs to have a speed of 9m/s, and I lets say I have 4 fans.
Does each fan still need 9 m/s ? or is it enough to have only 2.25 m/s for each /fan?

Thank you
Yes, more fans will maximize. Still needs 9m/s.

But really, whether you need it or not depends on application. Many heatsinks don't need fans at all.

Something came up, so I need to ask again regarding the heatsink.

I have some concern when it comes to wires that is connected from the mosfets, diodes, transformer (mounted on the heatsink) to circuit board, where there is 5-6 cm distance between them. Do you think it may be a problem with occurring interference? If it is a problem, do you have some suggestion on how to overcome it?

Depends on the frequency you're switching at and the rise-times involved.

Best way to deal with the problem (if there even is a problem) is to lay the board out differently and put things closer together and sandwich the offending traces between two ground planes.

Just a point about your original post. Your 9m/s is an air speed - fans are normally quoted in volume - 9l/s - Liters per Second. A 40mm fan may produce 9m/s but an 80mm fan will move 4 times as much air and a 120mm fan will move 9 times as much.

Mike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back