Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Number of turns in Electromagnet for Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that once subscribed we were all members for eternity? Is there a mechanism/procedure for becoming a non-member?

I thought that once subscribed we were all members for eternity? Is there a mechanism/procedure for becoming a non-member?

Yep. Become a troll and get banned.

Hello,
How to calculate Number of turns in Electromagnet for Relay .
One intelligent solution is find a website like OMRON who makes the best relays and examine coil current, power & series resistance for different contact ratings.

Wire gauge tables give diameter. F=ma is the guideline and Force is proportional to current, turns and magnetic force.m=mass, a= acceleration.

One intelligent solution is find a website like OMRON who makes the best relays and examine coil current, power & series resistance for different contact ratings.

Wire gauge tables give diameter. F=ma is the guideline and Force is proportional to current, turns and magnetic force.m=mass, a= acceleration.

Tony, please see post #20.

Hi,

Oh, what happened?

As I said, he was a troll and was treated as such.

Not knowing why not find a core and warp wire using one of these to find your wire size.
32NE0315.GIF

And use one of these to figure resistance and how long a wire needed
https://www.cirris.com/learning-center/calculators/133-wire-resistance-calculator-table
Hope this helps It works for me on a motor winding.

Not knowing why not find a core and warp wire using one of these to find your wire size.
32NE0315.GIF

And use one of these to figure resistance and how long a wire needed
https://www.cirris.com/learning-center/calculators/133-wire-resistance-calculator-table
Hope this helps It works for me on a motor winding.

Don't know where the gauge picture came from, but thats not how they're used. You don't put the wire in the hole but instead you put it in the slot. The hole is just clearance to make the slot.

I don't think they was thinking of how you use it. But I slide the wire in the slot and pull it out the hole but just using the slot is good to but.
I have use gauges just like it.
What is this world coming to anyway I post a picture of a wire gauge you can get at home depot and just cause the picture shows the wire in the hole somethings said
you push the wire in the slot and pull it out the hole it makes it easy to use is the way you use one of these.
And some don't have holes.
here's one from walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/26383606...96407471&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=84477409391&veh=sem
**broken link removed**
It even a real picture

Last edited:
Hi,

You can also use a micrometer.

Hi,

Apparently some match and some dont.

Here are a few AWG sizes for comparison calculated using the formula for AWG copper wire sizes:

[I had to upload the text file because they broke the CODE code formatting for this forum]

Attachments

• WireTable.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 317
They give these away at electric supply stores and I new you all was going to post
Apparently some match and some don't.
It's close enough to hit the hole in a donut. Wire size don't match anymore because like everything else in the world you pay more and get less.
Oh gas is cheaper now I have a set of stripers that go the 30 he could use that to see the size.
If a 100 feet reads 10 ohms he knows he's good.
I was just trying to help some kid may read this and get one of these at the hardware store for free and and it be useful to him
I've seen 4 year collage kids that don't no how to read a mic and cheap mic's that a wire gauge would get them closer.

They give these away at electric supply stores and I new you all was going to post
Apparently some match and some don't.
It's close enough to hit the hole in a donut. Wire size don't match anymore because like everything else in the world you pay more and get less.
Oh gas is cheaper now I have a set of stripers that go the 30 he could use that to see the size.
If a 100 feet reads 10 ohms he knows he's good.
I was just trying to help some kid may read this and get one of these at the hardware store for free and and it be useful to him
I've seen 4 year collage kids that don't no how to read a mic and cheap mic's that a wire gauge would get them closer.

Hi,

When i said "some match and some dont" i was referring to the copper wire vs steel wire or sheet steel, not the gauge itself.
I think it's great that you mentioned that thing. I never had one so i used a micrometer for everything then calculate or look up the wire.
Resistance measurement is good, i get 10.3 ohms for 100 feet of #30 AWG copper, and i say that is good because i had obtained some wire that was made from some other material or something maybe with copper plating, and the resistance was wayyyy high. It would not even take solder! I thought my speaker was going bad :)

I never had that kind of gauge, but i do have a similar gauge for spark plug electrode gap setting. It's rounded also, and has varying thickness around the circular edge and a graduated scale to match so you know fairly close what gap you are setting when you place the edge between the center electrode and bent outer electrode. It's graduated in inches though not gauge number, so its' like 0.010, 0.011, etc. Cant remember where i got it though.

It's interesting that AWG #36 seems to be the reference point for AWG gauges. Dont know why they did it that way, but that comes out to an exact diameter of 0.005 inches. The exponent in the formula is zero, so that is what does it, but who or why it was done that way i dont know. Like, why #36 :)

I know the feeling about wire I use it every day from small stuff to big and a lot of new wire has cheated on the copper. I save the smaller phone wire cat cable and bell wire to use at home I've found some that looks like copper but doesn't take solder too I even found some that has a core of what looks like fishing line with copper jacket
the stuff inside melts and causes problems.

Hi,

In the latter case, are you talking about the wire that has a strand of something non conductive inside with flat copper 'wire' wound around the outside of that center strand? If so, that wire is made so that it can take intense and repeated bending without breaking.
Another type of wire actually has small gauge wire wrapped around a fiber core, but that wire is round, and that takes a lot of bending back and forth. The draw back is higher resistance because it is actually a tiny diameter wound coil wound the full length of the wire. Used in some high quality computer mice.

No Im talking in general. I've seen more wire types then you can shake a stick at.
Some of the braided wire over a core dosent solder good too we crimp it. But I save a lot of the cut offs and use it at home there's one type its data wire with core and a jackit over the core its proable 28 it punches down its used for alarms and has 4 wires in one jackit the power wires are nice but the data wires not much good

I don't think they was thinking of how you use it. But I slide the wire in the slot and pull it out the hole but just using the slot is good to but.
I have use gauges just like it.
What is this world coming to anyway I post a picture of a wire gauge you can get at home depot and just cause the picture shows the wire in the hole somethings said
you push the wire in the slot and pull it out the hole it makes it easy to use is the way you use one of these.
And some don't have holes.
here's one from walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/26383606...96407471&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=84477409391&veh=sem
**broken link removed**
It even a real picture

The comment I made was for people that have never seen or used a gauge like that. Seeing the wire in the hole they may think the hole is the measuring spot, not the slot. Sorry if Your feelings were hurt.

I guess it's just me but I took it to mean I didn't know I been using stuff like that from a boy that's been over 40 years now. And the fact that someone said I was being a ass for posting a link to a datasheet that clearly showed how to use 16 leds with 4 pins like on the old 8 pin devment board microchip has for the pickit1 and link they still have to the code for it in C that's the first code I studied for using pic's 8 years ago.

As I said, he was a troll and was treated as such.

Hi,

Yeah, for some reason i did not see that original reply right away. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back