Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Number Fun: 17-bit BIN2BCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, I decided to code a 17 bit version of the double dabble routine, adapted from the code in Microchip Appnote AN-526. It was a trivial change because the 17th bit can be transferred directly to the output without any BCD adjustment, and then the rest of the algorithm is the same as before.

Code:
;Double Dabble 17 bit version to give packed BCD (with unpack at the end)
;Uses registers y0,y1,y2 to hold binary number (only bit 0 of y2 is used)
;Uses x0 as shift counter, and x1 as temp register for decimal adjustment
;Use of x0 and x1 are for consistency with the register usage of code posted earlier.
;Adapted from Microchip Appnote AN-526, and updated to use enhanced instruction set mnemonics.
Bin_to_BCD17
    movlw 16
    movwf x0
    clrf digit0 ;These clrf instructions were part of the original AN-526 code
    clrf digit1 ;but appear to be unnecessary
    clrf digit2
    clrf fsr0H
    rrf y2,w
    rlf digit0,f ;move high bit directly to digit0
b2BDC17_Lp
    rlf    y0,f
    rlf    y1,f
    rlf    digit0,f
    rlf    digit1,f
    rlf    digit2,f
    decfsz x0,f
    goto adjDEC17
unpack17
    ;Unpack the BCD digits from 3 bytes to 6 bytes
    ; (If packed BCD is okay, then skip to the return instruction.)
    movf digit2,w
    movwf digit5
    movwf digit4
    movf digit1,w
    movwf digit3
    movwf digit2
    swapf digit0,w
    movwf digit1
    swapf digit5,f
    swapf digit3,f
    movlw 0x0F
    andwf digit0,f
    andwf digit1,f
    andwf digit2,f
    andwf digit3,f
    andwf digit4,f
    andwf digit5,f
    return
adjDEC17
    movlw digit0
    movwf fsr0L
    call adjBCD17
    incf fsr0L,f
    call adjBCD17
    incf fsr0L,f
    call adjBCD17
    goto b2BDC17_Lp
adjBCD17
    movlw 3
    addwfc indf0,W
    movwf x1
    btfsc x1,3    ; test if result > 7
    movwf indf0
    movlw 0x30
    addwf indf0,W
    movwf x1
    btfsc x1,7    ; test if result > 7
    movwf indf0    ; save as MSD
    return

Note that the algorithm produces packed BCD, and so I added the 'unpack' routine to convert to unpacked format to match the other methods. The number of cycles to convert a number is 877 regardless of the size of number. I also tried a modified version of the algorithm that generates unpacked decimal directly. However, this requires the shifting of twice as many digit registers, so that it ends up being slower than the packed BCD version, taking 969 cycles. This code could certainly be optimized by unwinding some loops, but the real advantage of the Double Dabble algorithm is the compactness of the code, not its speed.

So, speedwise, the polynomial method is still fastest by a wide margin, and the code is fairly compact.
For compactness (especially for packed BCD), and ease of extending to larger numbers, the Double Dabble algorithm is the winner.
As for the divide by 10 method, I don't feel too bad about it. It was an interesting experiment. It is faster than double dabble, and about as easy as Double Dabble to extend to larger numbers, but the code size is the largest of the three algorithms compared here.

Edit: I checked the code given by 1and0 on the Microchip forum, but it appeared that the speed of the double dabble method given there was about the same as what I came up with. I think that at some point in that discussion, they moved on to a different method that was faster, but it wasn't double dabble, though I may have missed something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back