Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Not sure where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the3dman

I have a discontinued mixer from Europe that I don't have a power supply for, I found a picture of the one I need, but is is not for sale anywhere. So I would like to make one for it. I have made AC/DC ones in the past, but this appears to be AC/AC which I have never seen before, so maybe someone here can help me with how to make this. Here are the specs:

Input: 120v~/60hz/210mA/20W
Output: 2*17.5v~/2*650mA

Any help you can give would be awesome.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 65221.jpg
    65221.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 65220.jpg
    65220.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 132
Many transformers have dual primaries and dual secondaries so that they work from 120VAC or 240VAC. Just find a 120V one that has two 17.5V (or 18V) secondaries at at least 650mA each.

The original transformer did not have a current-limiting circuit. The mixer draws only as much current as it needs which might be only 500mA.

Thankyou very much! Just for my future knowledge how can you tell that it does not have a current limiting circuit?

Thankyou very much! Just for my future knowledge how can you tell that it does not have a current limiting circuit?

The reason many custom power supplies are 'ac' is because the rectifier diodes are inside the equipment the psu was specifically designed for.

As agu says the mixer will draw as much current as it requires to operate, the 650mA rating, is the maximum the psu will supply.

18v with dual secondarys seem to be pretty hard to find do you think I could use a 24v and make a circuit to step the voltage down to 18v?

What's the supply in your area? If you filled your location in then we would have suggested the right voltage.

Sorry, you did say 120V in your original post.

The problem I think you'll have is getting the connector for it so you might have to change the socket on the mixer.

Digikey sell a range of transformers with a twin 18V secondary and will supply the requeired current. You'll need to put the transformer in an enclosure which you can build or buy.

**broken link removed**
Digi-Key - 595-1033-ND (Signal Transformers - 14A-30-36)
Digi-Key - 237-1080-ND (Triad Magnetics - VPP36-820)
Digi-Key - MT3141-ND (Tamura - PL30-36-130B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back