Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Not sure but I think I've found a source for island cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that price is outrageous. In general, anything made out of metal seems to cost an arm and a leg now. Some of the crimper that were like $18 in the 80's, now sport price tags of $100 plus. I have a fair collection: EZ-RJ45, Telco, AMP RJ45, ones with dies., ratchet crimps for insulated terminals, uninsulated terminals, Then a few for small wire terminals.

One AMP crimper I had to put valve grinding compound on the joint until it was usable.

Recently, i had to find a crimper for like 26-28 AWG wire terminals.

Digi-Key Part NumberV1056-ND $72.13 !!

I have to find something for much less money.
Thank you though, Stupid Simpson. (just kidding)

I have seen an article about using a dull 1/4" drill bit and changing the end but it must be used in a press.

I'm waiting for the diamond glass cutters to arrive. If they do work I expect a wide moat.

jpanhalt, I like your tube plan but not sure I can pull it off.
Also waiting for a small vise to arrive. That would be useful while doing the shaping.

Useful info here and the diamond cutters seem to be what I have ordered!
**broken link removed**

Instead of a press I wonder if I could make a jig. A steel thing with a hole just bigger than the drill and find a handle for the drill and just twist it and push down lightly.

I will never have a good big drill press but this is interesting.

Last edited:
Yep. I made a few cutting tools in my lifetime. It all started in high school. I got to use the turret and there were no cutters for it, so I had to make them. Then for fun, I made a roughing cutter for chess pieces. Ground and hardened. I did one of my nastier cuts using a file making that cutter. Hand slipped and there was a bloody mess.

Not sure how to make a pad cutter. Dental tools?

A few cuts, I learned things from: a) pinching your smallest finger with the swing of a hammer. b) Chainsaw kickback (experience is the best teacher); c) the drill bit grabbing a piece of sheet metal in the drill press and attempting to grab it. d) Filing the sharp cutter and e) Working on exhaust systems. f) the red streak up your arm from a nail when your about 6 years old; One double bone fracture (both elbow joints came out of the socket - no issues except 6 months in a cast at about 6 YO) All of this stuff before I was 20 YO.

Some of the scars are still around. All of those things were lessons. The Heimlich maneuver probably saved mom's life. Having the equipment and knowing how to take vitals is important too. e.g. Blood pressure, pulse, respiration, pulse oximitry, glucose etc. CPR skills are out of date, but I had training twice. Now, it's read the MSDS and wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Safety training helps and so does doing Job Hazard Analysis.

I tried to make lathe cutting tools to make a screw in Jr. College. That's a fairly simple cutter but I was not good at making one.
I once worked on a production floor and noticed some things nobody else noticed. They started a safety committee and made me the head :)

If you're really clever, you could make a land cutter with a spring loaded point, then it can centre in a centre punch mark, but not drill through the board. Though, tbh, there's no real reason not to have a hole except aesthetics...

Bought another drill stand today and this one works well. 80 Euros
Wolfcraft D-56746 5027
**broken link removed**
My Bosch hand drill is a good match for it.

The vise for it is another 10 Euros. Add to that two bolts & nuts to hold the vise to the stand (I do not have them yet. The cuts have been stable without them so far).
Also no Allen wrench is provided. You will need one. 5mm, I think.

The very cheap 'diamond cutters' work fine to make islands.
I tried the 6mm & 8mm. I think I will use the the 8mm (outer diameter of the drill) because the pad inside the ring is a good size.
They are crazy cheap so a few sizes are good to play with.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back