Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Not-so-smart meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
I have inherited a smart gas meter (Landis & Gyr model G370) which is supposed to wake up when a button on its front is pressed, to take a reading manually. However, its display remains frustratingly blank despite my using buttons as instructed. Does this indicate that (1) the meter battery needs replacing, (2) the meter is faulty, or (3) the meter is configured for remote reading only and manual reading is not possible ? (The gas supplier's Help-line staff have so far been unable to provide a convincing answer).
Is it a legal requirement that the customer should be able to take readings manually, to check that billing is correct?

As far as I'm aware the batteries aren't usually replaceable, and are designed to last the life of the meter - so the answer is really that the meter is faulty. I'm pretty sure that meters can't be configured for remote access only, so it looks like you need a new meter?.

Could well be. Thanks for the info.
As far as I'm aware the batteries aren't usually replaceable, and are designed to last the life of the meter
That would be typical of this throw-away age :rolleyes:
I've read that battery life-time is usually around 10 yrs, but can be much shorter if the customer (or the gas supplier) opts for remote reads at 1/2hr intervals. I don't know when the previous occupier had the meter installed. It's a first-generation one (SMETS1 vintage), so could be getting on for 10yrs old; but I'm surprised the design life-time of a meter would be that short?

Could well be. Thanks for the info.

That would be typical of this throw-away age :rolleyes:
I've read that battery life-time is usually around 10 yrs, but can be much shorter if the customer (or the gas supplier) opts for remote reads at 1/2hr intervals. I don't know when the previous occupier had the meter installed. It's a first-generation one (SMETS1 vintage), so could be getting on for 10yrs old; but I'm surprised the design life-time of a meter would be that short?

The meter replacement schedule is probably only ten years anyway - and it's doubtful a supplier would opt for half hour reads, unless it's for a VERY short time, and to check if you're running a cannabis farm! :D Generally they give a reading every quarter or so, in order to generate an accurate bill.

As for 'scheduled replacements', they have tried to replace my gas meter three times - and due to their utter incompetence have failed every time :D

Meanwhile, my electric meter has been replaced three or four times, with the last replacement been because the previous one died.

It worked out quite nicely though - I had noticed that my meter readings had dropped considerably, but as it was when I'd just replaced all lighting with LED, I presumed it was down to that - and was really happy :D Anyway, one day I came to read the meter, and I thought "that number looks familiar", so checked and it was exactly the same as the previous quarter - no increase at all.

So I rang my electric supplier, and informed them - and eventually (a few months) someone came out to read it - he was totally incompetent, and unable to do it, so had to arrange for 'higher level' engineer to come out. Another month or two passed, and a really nice guy came out - but he had issues as well, and tried to ring his boss (but couldn't get through), so declined the change and said he'd be back at a later date, after he'd spoken to his boss, and he'd ring me and arrange the date and time. True to his word, he rang me back after a few days, and then came out and replaced the faulty meter.

I expected them to estimate the amount I'd used while the meter wasn't working, but no, they just wrote it off, so I had free electric for probably 8-9 months, happy days :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back