Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noobs Gone Wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been planning to ride my Goldwing to the Dakotas. Maybe I'll look you up!

Last edited:
Electro tech is a world wide Internet community. Like it or not. Being a UK based in origin it actually surprises me that the administration even allows half of the stuff to be posted and discussed!
The owner of ElectroTech is based in New Zealand, the administrators are scattered about the world, just because the most prominent moderator (Nigel Goodwin) is in the UK, it does not mean that they all are.
Anyone that grew up in a highly restricted and controlled culture and thinks that should be the world wide norm will find us people that grew up in an open and unrestricted culture grossly negligent and dangerous by their standards! British high society snobbery and conformity Vs back woods redneck hill billy unrestrained trailer trash antics.
British and European society in general is maybe more controlled in some respects than that of the USA.
On the other hand there are aspects of USA society which to us are mind numbingly repressed.
I am not sure that any of the UK contingent here in the forum could be described as "British high society" !

However if you just dump my posts and tell me a I am a horrible childish nonconformist who's views a danger to everyone or simply say nothing at all I will take that with great offense and then make your life as difficult as I can just for spite! While enjoying doing it all the while!
Hold on there! I dont find you a horrible childish...... whatever, you seem to be a very practicle guy who has a lot interesting stuff in his workshop.
Out of interest, I looked for Sawyer ND on google maps and street view, looks quite interesting and rural, lost of open space.

JimB

I'm actually offended by this thread.
I don't think there is any need for you to feel offended.

Sorry if my post offended you, that was not my intention.

Tact and diplomacy aren't my strongest points, my previous post was my best attempt at putting my point across in a diplomatic manner, sorry if it wasn't good enough.

Along with the moderators I put in a lot of time to keep this site running and try to maintain the peace with many different types of people.
I think this place is great and you good a good job.

I respect you for not banning me and keeping this thread open for discussion

'your ignorant'
That isn't what I said.

If you just call someone ignorant it is an insult. Clear as. This forum does not allow insulting other members.
I disagree, the way in which I said it wasn't intended as an insult. I can happily agree to disagree with you on this: I don't think the way in which I used the word ignorant was insulting but you do. I accept that this is your forum and you make the rules so I will refrain from using the word ignorant, with reference to another member, in future.

The thing that concerns me is that it isn't clear what is acceptable and what is not. In my view there were far more offensive posts in that thread which completely unnoticed. I was offended by the infraction because I felt that other people in the thread got away with murder and I was punished for something relatively minor.

Last edited:
I am aware that electro tech is in new Zealand. I simply used British high society as a comparative or sharp contrast to the lower end of American society I refereed to as red neck hill billy trailer trash. (some days I do fit into that description far too well!):eek:

I am a bit of a history buff of minor sorts and historically the upper level British and English types are who just come to mind for me when thinking historically about pointless rule making and what not. As far as American culture We are currently taking the lead as all time ridiculous rule makers!:eek: If its good, cheap, and practical for the betterment of our society there will be a law or rule passed to prevent it as soon ans it becomes common knowledge!:mad:
Does enviro nutters and corporate strong arming tactics sound familiar?:mad:

As far as getting my posts dumped on and called childish you may not have anything to do without but it has and will happen from time to time. I can handle it, but it just gets old when an issue not directly related to whats being discussed gets dragged around and rehashed over and over.:(
Typically its the safety, legal, or implementation issues not relevant to the topics construction, operating constraints or theory of designed and functionality are what rub me the wrong way. The harmonics purists, line voltage safety Nazis and legal restrictions or usage constraints nutters that can derail an other wise good and informative thread topic and run it down are the ones I get the most up tight about.
I know these issues are real and become relevant at some point but simply discussing a design concept or possible construction practicality issue does not warrant a full on thread raid!:eek:

I am glad people find my posts and information interesting! I make it a point to not spoon feed my information but rather get people to think.:) Oddly that does seem to rub some people the wrong way though, that having to think part in particular.:p

I am pleased to see some are checking out my home area! Ive done it to others as well. Reading up on others cultural heritage and ways of life helps me to understand others views better and be a bit or tolerant of their views as well.

I am a bit of a history buff of minor sorts and historically the upper level British and English types are who just come to mind for me when thinking historically about pointless rule making and what not. As far as American culture We are currently taking the lead as all time ridiculous rule makers!:eek: If its good, cheap, and practical for the betterment of our society there will be a law or rule passed to prevent it as soon ans it becomes common knowledge!:mad:
Does enviro nutters and corporate strong arming tactics sound familiar?:mad:
Yes, we have that sort of stuff too.
There are all kinds of legislation puring out of the European Union, some of it good, some of it is silly. Either way, the eejits* running the country take it to extreams and beat us to death with it.

Typically its the safety, legal, or implementation issues not relevant to the topics construction, operating constraints or theory of designed and functionality are what rub me the wrong way. The harmonics purists, line voltage safety Nazis and legal restrictions or usage constraints nutters that can derail an other wise good and informative thread topic and run it down are the ones I get the most up tight about.
I know these issues are real and become relevant at some point but simply discussing a design concept or possible construction practicality issue does not warrant a full on thread raid!
I have to agree with you up to a point.
However, when someone arrives out of nowhere on the forum and asks:
"How can I convert 240 volts to 12 volts without using an expensive transformer? By the way this is to power a childs train set (or whatever)"

An experienced person will immediately realise several things:
1 The guy is a cheapskate
2 He has near zero electrical knowledge
3 He has zero idea of the safety implications
4 He may be an eejit!

How can you possible give this guy any technical guidance which would result in a safe outcome?
Maybe the correct course of action would be to expain carefully the reason for having a transformer. But would he care? possibly not, he may just think that you are being obfuscatory and an elitist safety nazi.

* eejit = a Scottish pronunciation of idiot.

JimB

* eejit = a Scottish pronunciation of idiot.

JimB

I'm thinking the use of eejit is somewhat like spellnig wtih jbrish you unerdstnsd

But, you know it's not right.

Interesting, it almost has the flavor of good old boy hillbilly speech impediment:)

Warning: Slow Down / eejit crossings.:D

kv

Hero999 said:
The thing that concerns me is that it isn't clear what is acceptable and what is not. In my view there were far more offensive posts in that thread which completely unnoticed. I was offended by the infraction because I felt that other people in the thread got away with murder and I was punished for something relatively minor.

I dealt with the people in that thread separately and privately, but I think you are correct, and I will try to get a better set of rules to clear up the inconsistencies.

Good, I'm glad we've managed to resolve this.

Last edited:
That's human nature aint it? A little bit of knowledge makes you dangerous.

I was gonna say something about Nigel, but, ahhhh skip it.

Nah, I didn't mean anything by that. Actually Nigel amazes me by his broad yet extensive or in depth knowledge of electronic design.

I just had a need to retaliate. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back