Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-volitale Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

tml1220

I have a request for a product with non-volitale memory. The problem is every time they unplug their product they loose all of their preprogrammed setpoints. The PIC microcontroller is powered by a switching 5Volt power supply (on the board) then to a voltage regulator. If I were to put a +5 volt battery in parallel with the PIC microcontroller would that do the trick ? If so what battery would you suggest?

T

Using a battery is not a good idea. A PIC in normal execution mode consumes not less than 5mA which means it will drain most Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh batteries in few hours. To store your program variables use I2C EEPROMs like 24Cxx (say 24C02). It will take only two I/O pins from your PIC and coding is also simple.

Other idea is to use battery while sending your PIC in "Power Down" mode when it is idle. This saves a lot of power.

tml1220 said:
I have a request for a product with non-volitale memory. The problem is every time they unplug their product they loose all of their preprogrammed setpoints. The PIC microcontroller is powered by a switching 5Volt power supply (on the board) then to a voltage regulator. If I were to put a +5 volt battery in parallel with the PIC microcontroller would that do the trick ? If so what battery would you suggest?
T

What kind of PIC are you using? . Some pic's have EEPROM built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back