Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-techie lay-user question to experts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

monmajhi

Hi,

I have a 500W IPS (deep cycle? 120AH-150AH lead-acid battery based power back-up) connected to the Mains with IPS mode output being 230 VAC Nominal in Square Wave/or modified square wave (Transfer time: 10 ms). The IPS also has a regulated UPS mode, i.e. a 180-260 VAC regulated range of input, supposedly for computers. The IPS provides 2 hour back-up if fully used. Currently I use this as a back-up power-source for lights and fans.

I also use a 400W offline UPS (+AVR) connected to the Mains, for my computer, with a Square Wave output. This provides only 10 minutes back-up.

Now I want to plug-in my UPS to one of the outlets of the IPS instead of the Mains, because this way the computer will get a longer back-up uninterrupted (2 hr instead of 10 mins). But the UPS manufacturer's service-personnel are discouraging me from doing this. They say, there will be a mismatch between the two and the UPS will crash. I think they are talking about the mismatch between the IPS's output wave form, i.e. Square wave, and the UPS's input : Sine Wave. But I tried it nevertheless (albeit for less than a minute) and it worked -- but the UPS was making quite a bit of noise and I shut it down. The UPS manufacturer's service-personnel said this is a bad sign.

NOW MY QUESTION IS, is there a safe way to use the IPS and the UPS in conjunction for the purpose I want to use them in conjunction ?

Secondly, I can alternatively connect the computer directly to the IPS since it claims a "UPS mode" (180V-260V). But I am really not confident about this because it's a new brand and it's not known how it works with computers. Besides, the IPS is connected to different types of equipments/loads, i.e. celling fan an energy saving and fluroscent tube lights -- which may cause spikes while transfering from Mains to battery and which may in turn cause damage to the computer ? So, I think it's better to have my old and trusted UPS in between the computer and the IPS.

By the way, frequent power-outages/load-shedding is a common feature of life in the summer where I live (at least at present). And I need to work with computers for long stretches without such interruption.

So what do you think ? Is there any inexpensive solution to this, i.e. other than buying a new "pure sine wave" IPS or high-end UPS with hours of back-up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back