Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non liearity of sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricktran

Hi there,
Can someone please help me to know more about a sensor's non linearity. I dont know a specific sensor, but I think there must be some sensors that are not linear, even within their specification range!!!!
Also, could you please tell me what techniques of dealing with non linearity?
Thanks alot
Patrick

Well, there's ones billed as basically linear but with some known deviation that may be desirable to map out for precision apps. Then there's truly nonlinear ones like a thermistor or photocell.

If it's something that follows a formula, you might try to do the math, usually it's too complex to do easily. So typically we just use a lookup table. Now if you've got a 10 bit ADC you don't want to make a lookup table with 1024 values. What you do there is make a lookup table for regularly spaced adc values, like adc=0, 63, 127... Then do a linear approx for whatever inbetween value comes up. For adc=32, you take the average of the first and second table entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back