Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non conventional Mosfet markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algabon

I came across the following Mosfet circuit, but am unfamiliar with the Drain, Gate & Source connections; which is which? Can anyone out there, shed some light on this?

This circuit has a float switch (not visible in drawing)

M1 = IRFD9014
M2 = IRFD014
R1 = 500K
R2 = 10M
R3 = 1K
D1,2 = 1A, 400v diodes

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• mosfet_switch.jpg
    mosfet_switch.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 229
Given:
M1 = P channel
M2 = N channel

Found using a Google search for the part numbers.

It's fairly obvious to me which connections are which.

R1 and R2 are pull up/down resistors which connect to the gates.

The P channel will have the source going to +V and the N channel will have the source going to 0V.

M2 simply pulls M1's gate down so it's drain goes to M1's gate.

M1's drain goes to the load which is the LED and the fuel control valve.

Last edited:
Thanks for the succinct explanation.

Edit: You mentioned that "The P channel (M1) will have the source going to +V" and then later, "M1's source goes to the load which is the LED and the fuel control valve."

If the first statement is correct, then by inference M1's Drain actually goes to the load, which are the LED and the fuel control valve.

Last edited:
Sorry, I made a mistake, I meant that M1's drain goes to the load.

Generally when using MOSFETs the load is connected to the drain because the voltage loss is lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back