Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non contact voltage detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

scootcdn

I am looking to purchase or build a non contact voltage sensor that i may connect to my own outputs.It must be battery powered and miniature.An example is a Fluke voltalert , etc. I would like to be able to detect the presence of voltage 12 Volt(AC/DC) or greater at a range 5-10 feet. is this possible ??
Thanks in Advance
scootcdn

I don't think what you have in mind is practical to detect at that range, it would be constantly in alarm due to outside interference. Even the commercial volt sticks can detect power but not the absence of voltage. They rely on the magnetic field generated when current flows so you could have a live 415 volt contact that doesn't show up because there is no load on it.

If you want to proceed with this idea I would suggest using a parabolic receiver so you input is very directional.

My initial response would be, no, too difficult. But then, you did not tell us why or what it is that requires low voltage detection at such a long range. Can you elaborate? There may be other ways to achieve your goal.
AC voltages would be easier to detect, especially if the frequency is different from the mains induced noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back