Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noisy neighbours, replacing music with CB radio and linear amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

white knight

I have neighbours from hell with music heard in the street 50 meters down the road, the authorities do nothing so I thought natural law and technology would help.
Other forums give solutions, but miss full instruction, so I thought I would find technical forums and ask qualified people for there opinion.

QUOTE-

You need a CB radio, A linear amp, and a bottom loaded CB antenna with no ground pane. See if you can get a good guess where she has her [speakers] set up and get your antenna close as you can to it. You should be able to talk to her THROUGH their stereo system. The amplifier sections are not shielded in these plastic ready made toys and the resulting AM signal will impact it. In my case I ran a continuous 6khz tone from a signal generator which was more than enough to blow it up good

- I don't understand how a 6khz tone from a signal generator which was more than enough to blow it up good. Does that mean damage it? Is that possible? I would of thought only substituting your broadcast sound over theres would be the only option.

Does it work if there speakers are off?

Another article says the CB radio has a 100 watt minimum linear amplifier; preferably an amp with a 100% duty cycle.

What part is the 100 watt minimum. This amp below says its 180w, but it says in the specs its output power is 45w max

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180W-Lin...524073?hash=item2cb4c757e9:g:sHwAAOSwMVdYEvUQ

What am I looking for when it says 100 watt minimum.

another person says AM CB radio is the default FM, another talks about the effectiveness of the SSB (Single Side Band) CB radio, and they weren't using a linear amp, just a Cobra SSB 23 channel and a magnetic mount whip antenna.

Can anyone confirm what to use?

Another source says you don't even need the antenna use 50 ohm dummy load.
Is that a good idea, how does that setup work?

Also incase anyone brings it up, linear amplifiers are legal in the UK.

eBays buying guide says if they are not correctly tuned they can interfere with other devices, TVs, stereos etc
see section
How to Hook Up a CB Radio Amplifier
and Conclusion
https://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/CB-Radio-Amplifiers-Buyers-Guide-/10000000177317681/g.html
Not sure what it means there, thats what I want to do.

Last edited:
6khz tone from a signal generator... that is just the sound they sent down the pipe.
blow it up good. Does that mean damage it? yes.
Does it work if there speakers are off? not likely if you are using a mod that attacks amps .
Can anyone confirm what to use? i cant specifically sorry.
linear amplifiers are legal in the UK..... I sympathies with you but vigilanti justice, vandalism and trespassing(which is how close he prolly had to get) are most likely not..
its output power is 45w max ... i think 180w is typo, input current 0.005 * 120v = 60watt on input... best to ask fleabay vendor
Can anyone confirm what to use? note* in quote a plastic amp is attacked, any amp i have seen is steel and most likely shielded... Also if your neighbour stereo is large enough to make it down the road your transmitter will need to be alot bigger as well... depends what was used as control..

Is that a good idea, how does that setup work?
ITs still a struggle for me with all the fun math involved but you are asking about how radio tuning and frequency & impedance matching work. Its all about the electro-magnetic fields that develop when electricity flows through a wire.

eBays buying guide says...
... my speakers tick just before my cellphone rings if it is beside it, glad it wasn't next to my ear.
... picking up my cordless phone jams my wifi... seen that one a few times

technology would help.... earmuffs? maybe eggs?

Personally, when i lived in a party house myself, when i had to sleep before work the next day., i played my radio next to my ear and it did the trick to drown it all out for a nice uninterrupted sleep.... worked at work too!

However, id really like to have one of these, you can only hear it if it points straight at you:
**broken link removed** ww.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMyY3_dmrM

or check out the coil gun, a very cool emp weapon, mind you the reality is its about as powerful as a rubber band, which is similar to the tree you are barking up:
**broken link removed** ww.youtube.com/watch?v=7LjnhhtHojM

EMP tech which you are talking about is very fascinating subject and has many discoveries to unfold, but for now there is a reason military don't have, it has not yet developed to be of any use.

I think this post violates forums terms and conditions. If your trying to do what I think you are then you are breaking the law. We can't assist with unlawful activities.

Try contacting the Noise Abatement Society for advice:
http://noiseabatementsociety.com/

Or, you could try another approach...
Assuming they are playing their loud music at all hours of the night, they will have to sleep at some point. That will usually be when their music goes off and that should be when yours goes on, within the hours you are legally allowed of course. Wait about a half hour after it goes quiet. Make your music choice the complete opposite of theirs - marching bands/opera/classical are normally far away from the choice of music the anti-social types like to pump out. You could leave 'your' music on all day, whilst they are trying to sleep after partying all night, stomp up and down your stairs banging a spoon on a pan, singing at the top of your voice in the most tone-deaf way. When it's your time to sleep, you could try wearing ear plugs and have some white noise in your bedroom, to drown out any noise from them...

The use on CB frequencies of the power levels suggested by white knight is definitely illegal in the UK.

Discussion of illegal activities is contrary to the terms and conditions of service of ETO, hence this thread is locked.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back