Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise Dosimeter project

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomashomas

I am looking for a circuit to build a noise dosimeter. The ones commercially available only start to register at 45 dB, (forceful talking) and up to the danger theshold. (oh, and they are really expensive) i want the whisper range 30 dB and below. it does not have to be very accurate, but to show improvements in noise abatement that is not subjectively measured.
thank you

Are you looking for a sound level meter - one that gives and instantaneous indication - or a dosimeter that records sound levels over a predefined period so that some understanding of the overall "dose" of noise is indicated?

For a simple noise level meter a microphone and sensitive amplifier (lots of kits from places like Vellman) might work. Output of amplifier could be indicated with voltmeter (with appropriate load resistor). If you had a mic and a stereo with a mic or other suitable input you might try it to see if you can actually pick up whatever it is that you want to measure. It won't be accurate, linear, etc but might be better than nothing.

If my understanding of a dosimeter is correct then construction of a dosimeter would be quite a challenge. A poor man's version might be fashioned from the mic/amp described above then tied to a data aquisition card ( I got mine for $24, slow but it works). You'd have to decide how you process the data you collect.

Things I'd worry about with this kind of approach is frequency response and changes in amplifier output with time - as the mic/amp warms or cools, power supply voltage changes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back