Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ni-cad discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stockweld

I'm discharging a 20 volt battery through twelve, one-ohm, 10 watt resisters. I would like for it to stop discharging at 9 volts by relay to prevent battery damage. What is the easiest way.

Isn't the safe discharge voltage for cycling NiCd's about 1.0 V per cell? How did you calculate 9 V for the 20 V pack?

It's actually 18 v pack, 12 cells. Measured full charge was 20.1 volts. Paper said optimum discharge to one volt per cell. Trying to "exercise" seldom used pack. To keep it from going south. Have already lost two good packs this way, through lack of use. Thanks for any advice.

Forgive my lack of clarity. I'm using 18 volt DeWalt equipment once a year. New packs going bad. Won't take a charge.

The major problem with NiCd's is their fast self discharge rate, unlike modern NiMH cells. They do outperform NiMH in some other respects, though. If you let a NiCd sit for a year, it is killing itself. You need to periodically charge them so they do not over discharge.

Are you aware of the Battery University site? It has a lot of useful and accurate information.

Thanks. I'll see if they are fully self discharged every month. And just put in charger more often than I have been. Doesn't sound exactly like what I've been reading. But I'll check out that site as well.

The major problem with NiCd's is their fast self discharge rate, unlike modern NiMH cells. They do outperform NiMH in some other respects, though. If you let a NiCd sit for a year, it is killing itself. You need to periodically charge them so they do not over discharge.

Are you aware of the Battery University site? It has a lot of useful and accurate information.

Battery University appears to favor or be specialized in lithium-ion. Not much on Ni-cad. Other sites have very good specs and advice on maximizing life of batteries. They emphasize the need to charge monthly but also the need to deep DISCHARGE and recharge every one to 3 months depending on use of course. So you can't help with a discharge circuit and I'm left with having to needlessly wear out my drill taping the trigger on ???

Battery University appears to favor or be specialized in lithium-ion. Not much on Ni-cad. Other sites have very good specs and advice on maximizing life of batteries. They emphasize the need to charge monthly but also the need to deep DISCHARGE and recharge every one to 3 months depending on use of course. So you can't help with a discharge circuit and I'm left with having to needlessly wear out my drill taping the trigger on ???

There are several other good sites for ni-cad batteries. Technical data repeatedly mentions the need to yes "exercise" ni-cads. There is a definite need for a device that you can plug one into that will do this for you. Simply charging monthly doesn't do the job! Manufacturers are more interested in selling new batteries than helping you preserve the ones you've already bought !!!

Whatever you are doing is not working for keeping for keeping your NiCd's alive. Generally, that is considered as a signal to change what you are doing. I disagree that NiCd's are the preferred choice for modern power tools. But whatever, that is your choice. Allowing your NiCd's to go to 0.75 V per cell is not a good plan.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back