Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB CAD Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

TucsonDon

I am looking for a CAD program to use for my PCB layouts. I am a hobbyist so I don't do a lot of PCB's and don't want to brake the bank with the purchase of a program.

I have been using AutoTRAX DEX but it has to many bugs in the program. I like having the program on my computer to build parts and layout the boards then export to gerber files to send to a manufacture.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Eagle free version very capable. Learning curve is a bit steep but
tons of online resources, forums, YouTube training. Does have an
autorouter, some users feel hand layout only way to do stuff, I find
using it initially then doing hand route quite handy.

I see other users like Kicad, it seems to have a strong following as well.
Free also.

Regards, Dana.

danadak thanks for the info I will check it out! I like an auto router (AutoTRAX has a third party that limits to 250 pads)

I am looking for a CAD program to use for my PCB layouts. I am a hobbyist so I don't do a lot of PCB's and don't want to brake the bank with the purchase of a program.

I have been using AutoTRAX DEX but it has to many bugs in the program. I like having the program on my computer to build parts and layout the boards then export to gerber files to send to a manufacture.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
You might try DesignSpark PCB from RS Components, which is fully featured (no limits) and free, and also has an enhanced chargeable version. I use just the free version.

There's also Easy EDA, which has both on-line and downloadable versions.

danadak thanks for the info I will check it out! I like an auto router (AutoTRAX has a third party that limits to 250 pads)
Eagle free limitation :

The two physical board restrictions associated with EAGLE Standard are bulleted below:
  • Board size restriction of 160cm^2 in the positive quadrants of the cartesian planes.
  • 4 Layer restriction.

Regards, Dana.

Kicad has no limitations. Is free. Has numerous tutorials. Can auto route or manual route. Has extensive libraries and you can create your own parts if you want to. Also does 3D renders of your proposed pcb.

Why I recommend EasyEDA

One "feature" I dislike about EagleCad's free version (long-time user of the paid version): Generally, and especially if the board has some kind of symmetry, I like to place the origin of the board at the center of the board. It makes it a lot simpler to position LEDs, switches and connectors. In the Eagle free version, the board origin must be at the lower left corner. You can't place components with negative coordinates.

Another vote for FREE KiCad :cool:
Recent versions have had the weight of CERN behind it !

I installed KiCAD last night and started watching the youtube videos, I wish I could transfer all the projects and parts from AutoTRAX.

I've designed some pretty serious boards with KiCad. I like it a lot. I had to work with other expensive programs and found hem much harder to use AND do really stupid things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back