Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie wants to start... with an electronic canary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wartex

Dear people at this forum;

I want to start of with electronics,circuit building soon, ( basically around the beginning of july).
So now I am gathering information about the practical side of it. I know basic theory.
I have some circuits looked up on the net and all, like let's say :how to build an electronic canary:
HTML:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/canary.html

Ok, u get the components of that circuit. But then what happens? U spread them out on a table and connect them with wires. Or u buy a circuit board and solder the components on top of it?
This is not sarcasm at all, I just want to make sure I'll get myself a soldering kit first.

Feel free to give me some practical advice. All the tutorials I find are just about the theoretical side of it.

Last edited:
Hi,

You are starting off with a good basic circuit - rather than worry about soldering, have a look at the Breadboard systems - they are ideal for beginners who are constantly changing things around, and are still used by many experienced folk.

Also, do not discount the Electronics Learning Kits sold in many stores, many come with breadboards or similar ' dry' systems - they ususally have comperhensive notes to guide you all the way though to completion of each project.
They many be marketed at a younger age group - but if it gets you going - great, you will be able to enjoy your new found hobby even quicker.

I definitely recommend the 101 type kits. They seem simple they however have the building blocks to a large number of circuits.

When starting out, you need to have a basic stock of commonly-used components in commonly-used values. Grab a few 'value' packs of resistors, ceramic capacitors, electrolytic capacitors, some 1N914 1N4148 & 1N4007 diodes, various potentiometers, common NPN & PNP transistors such as 2N3904/2N3906 or 2N2222/2N2907 or BC54X/BC55X or equivalent with their complementary and a couple of spools of enamelled wire, in different gauges, for making inductors/transformers etc.

Grab also, a bag of various coloured LED's, a couple of 555's and a couple of Op-Amps.

Salvage some old Cat5, or other solid-cored cable for hooking up on a breadboard, along with battery-snaps for power supply, or purchase an adjustable bench supply.

12V, 9V & 5V regulators (LM7812, LM7809 & LM7805, or LM340T12 & LM340T9 & LM340T5) will also come in handy.

Once you have these components and have built a few of the basic example circuits available, you will get a feel of the other components you need to add to your inventory to build more complex circuits. (Hint: - You can connect resistors in series, to create values you don't have individually.)

Bookmark a few useful links you may need to refer to frequently:
Ohm's law:
Ohm's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LED resistor calculator:

Bread-boarding for beginners:
Breadboards

HTH.

Thanks for the quick and valuable help.

I still doubt between some of those learning kits, look at these Yatego - Busch Elektronik, Busch Elektronik 7000, Busch Elektronik 6000 -to bad its german- or just starting from scratch, buy a basic stock of components and a breadbord.

Getting organised at yourself is harder, but those starter packs, its a bit for kids :) and that conflicts with my ego.

But still no decision. Its going to be a close one.

I will do some further research and let u guys know.

Besides that, is the electronic canary a good choice to start of with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back