Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie to electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergi

People, I stuck at my work))) I'm sorry beforehand for such a stupid thread though)
I'm not an electronic engineer. It's not the right place for me. Anyway, I must get an idea how to develop a circuit. First, which software is the most common for such things? I suppose I should use PSpice, but I'm not sure. Then, if I have my circuit done, will I be able to get the real electronic components for that circuit? Any comments would be useful.
Thank you.

Linear Technology - LTspice IV Downloads and Updates
LTspice is a very nice simulator and free as well, but if you don't know anything about electronics it's not going to do you the slightest bit of good.
Check your local library or book store for basic electronics books, to help you out with the basics. If you're serious about getting into electronics you better like reading cause you'll be doing a lot of it.

Thanks, Sceadwian, LTspice looks much like PSpice from Cadence. Maybe I should also try Simulink.
Could you advise me some source where I can get ready circuits so that I can adjust one for my needs?

Electronic circuits - Google Search
Googling different electronic circuits will keep your reading for the rest of your life. Electronics to say the VERY least is a rich field of study.

You're going to find very little other simulation software out there for free LTSpice is the only really useful one I've ever found that doesn't cost anything.

Last edited:
Once you have a schematic open go to the Simulation menu and click "Edit simulation cmd" A window will pop up, it's the third entry box from the top under the Transient tab, "Maximum Time Step" I can't remember what it's default is but be careful how low you set this, it can seriously increase simulation time. Also right clicking on the .tran directive (once there is one) in your schematic will bring up the same window. The first time you click the Run button under the Simulation menu this windo will automatically pop up and it will put the .tran spice directive on your schematic for you. Or you can add it by hand.

Yes, but maximum time step gives the upper limit i.e. beyond which the time step would not increase in order to provide a desired precision. As for the lower limit, I don't see it, it seems that the program calculates it itself basing on frequency parameters.

The maximum time step chooses the 'granularity' of the simulation. The lower this value is the more detailed the simulation will be. LTSpice compresses the waveform to prevent huge amounts of data from being used and can tweaked in the Control Panel under Compression, but generally never needs to be touched.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here? Forgive me if I sound ignorant, I've used LTSpice for a long time, but I'm not sure what you're talking about, generally I let LTSpice handle all the detail settings like that there's no reason I've ever come across to alter them.

Last edited:
Sorry, I think I misunderstood the meaning of "maximum" step. Now I got it. But still can't make the simulation run properly. Well, I'll try to play with the values of passive elements. Anyway thank you for assistance.

Post your .asc file and any external models you're using. I could possibly help.

Last edited:
Ok, wait, can I put a modulated signal to input? I see there's an option to import a signal from a file (PWL file)

LTSpice support direct reading of .wave audio data. I find it rather amusing that you can create a filter or audio circuit and actually feed in real audio, and get out real audio as if the circuit were real. Not realtime but still damn cool. With the proper models and a good set of monitor quality headphones you can actually test speakers designs. What are you trying to modulate and what are you trying to modulate it with?

Last edited:
In fact I need to make a frequency shifter. I found an appropriate scheme and built it in the simulator. Wave file is modulated on a high frequency. And I must convert from 22 Hz to kHz frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back