Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

newbie question about PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashour

i bought one of those generic PCBs it looks just like a bread board but it just need soldering

i have some questions

first as the red arrow number 1 shows what is the point of those rails? the buzzer doesn't detect any current flow in it.

question 2 can i cut through the pcb through the blue line shown?

question 3 i've seen videos showing how to solder on pcb and usually they solder on the back of the pcb but when i tried i failed and only i succeeded in soldering on the shown upper face.

thanks

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 408
question 3 i've seen videos showing how to solder on pcb and usually they solder on the back of the pcb but when i tried i failed and only i succeeded in soldering on the shown upper face.
clean your PCB first then dont touch it with your hand
because it can cause the solder become not sticky
the same thing happen to me too someday ago

Last edited:
Thanks i'll try it out soon , but i'd like to know if is there some type of a chemical that would clean the PCB ? or should i use water or some detergent?

I also have one more question is there something that would allow me to join some rows without using wires , i.e. as resistors could do , but i don't want to add unnecessary resistors to the circuit if its not of a purpose but making it more neat?

some friend suggested resistor network of low resistance but i didn't know if its a good idea or not.

The purpose of the "band" you identify with the red arrow that doesn't have any copper solder pads, is likely for 0.300 inch pitch DIP sockets and ICs; that is, the part straddles the gap, just like on a regular prototyping breadboard, where the part straddles a valley on the board. Yes, you can cut the board, but be aware that PCB material is pretty abrasive stuff, and may dull blades over time. Also, were eye protection and a face mask (ideally a respirator); the fiberglass and other components of the board (as dust from cutting) are hazardous to breath and will irritate the eyes. To clean such a board for soldering, light detergent, a green plastic scrubby, and a final rinse with distilled water then thoroughly drying it will work fine. You don't show the other side of the board, so I don't know if the board has copper pads on the other side; if it doesn't, then you can't solder to that side. If it does, then it is best to solder the parts on both sides where you can (unless the holes have full thru-plated holes); it will produce a stronger joint (some parts, like DIP sockets and headers, you probably can't do this). Finally, as far as joining rows and such, you can purchase special "wire" for this (called "tinned bus wire" - which is pre-tinned with solder and has no insulation) - or you can save component leads as you cut them. Some hobbyists like to bend the leads of components where they can and solder the circuit together using the leads (tacking them down to intervening pads along the way). You could also strip the insulation from some thin solid copper wire (like inside most cat5e cable), and solder that on (run solder over the wire to "tin" it and prevent corrosion over time).

Thanks that was very helpfull i went to the electronics shop and asked about solder and they told me i thought that back we front and front was back :D so now i understand why solder didn't work on the back (Which was really front)

i've also done some jumper copper wires by stripping some parts and its working perfectly.

thanks for everything

Thanks i'll try it out soon , but i'd like to know if is there some type of a chemical that would clean the PCB ? or should i use water or some detergent?

I also have one more question is there something that would allow me to join some rows without using wires , i.e. as resistors could do , but i don't want to add unnecessary resistors to the circuit if its not of a purpose but making it more neat?

some friend suggested resistor network of low resistance but i didn't know if its a good idea or not.
try to brush your PCB with thootbrush with a tinning liquid
it should make the the tin sticky on the PCB :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back