Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie needs help identifying these chips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdotwire7

Can someone please tell me what these chips are called? Or what type of chips they are? What are those 7 pin wire thingys? I am new to this, and these are of interest. Can someone lead me to the direction of where I need to go, to learn about these guys. Thanks.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Hi,

the 7-pin thingy looks like an SD-card reader/writer.

Boncuk

The chips or "little black rectangles" as they're technically referred to are called ICs which stands for Integrated Circuit and basically, they can do anything. There are literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of different ICs out there. Some are standard and very common, others are custom built for a very specific need or purpose. To ask what the chips do without anymore information is like asking, "What does a machine do". If you want more information of the specific ICs in your picture then your best best it to read the part numbers off the top of them and do a search on the interwebs. The other non-IC components are likely resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, etc. If you can take a better picture of the circuit board without the wires obstructing all the components, I might be able to help you identify what type some of the other components are.

Last edited:
The chips or "little black rectangles" as they're technically referred to are called ICs which stands for Integrated Circuit and basically, they can do anything. There are literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of different ICs out there. Some are standard and very common, others are custom built for a very specific need or purpose. To ask what the chips do without anymore information is like asking, "What does a machine do". If you want more information of the specific ICs in your picture then your best best it to read the part numbers off the top of them and do a search on the interwebs. The other non-IC components are likely resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, etc. If you can take a better picture of the circuit board without the wires obstructing all the components, I might be able to help you identify what type some of the other components are.

Are these microcontrollers or microchips? If you wanted to get a custom made microchip, can you get it made to perform any function you describe? are there any limitations? Im sorry for the pics, they are not mine, I have found them on google, so I cannot read the numbers on them.

Microchip is just a generic term to describe the little black flat rectangles you see soldered onto the circuit board. A microcontroller is a specific type of integrated circuit. It's basically a mini-computer that runs software written to perform a certain task or tasks. Microcontrollers usually have other peripherals built into them like ADCs (analog to digital converters), comparators, hardware communication modules, timers, etc. Exactly what they have or don't have depends on the specific manufacturer and model. Getting custom made ICs is something usually only done by electronics manufacturers and other large companies for a specific product or project. I've never tried to get a quote or anything for a custom made IC but my guess is that it would be prohibitively expensive for an individual like you or I. If someone was willing to pay enough however, I'm sure a company could be found that would make an IC to do whatever you wanted. And of course, the IC would be limited by the manufacturer's capabilities, current technology, the laws of physics, and how much magic smoke could be placed inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back