Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to serial communication, Hyperterminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AceOfHearts said:
When I type something into Hyperterminal, it should come up on the screen and be transmitted right?

No, it shouldn't be displayed on the screen, only if it's echoed back by the other end - this is normal, and proves it's all working if the character appears on screen.

But how come nothing happens when I press a key (I am checking using an oscilloscope the serial port output). Nothing comes up on the screen, nor is anything transmitted through the port?? :confused:

Do you have handshaking set to NONE.

AceOfHearts said:
When I type something into Hyperterminal, it should come up on the screen and be transmitted right?

But how come nothing happens when I press a key (I am checking using an oscilloscope the serial port output). Nothing comes up on the screen, nor is anything transmitted through the port?? :confused:

That depends if your properties are set for full or half duplex operation. Attached is the properites panel where you can have hyperterminal do a 'local echo' (half duplex mode) of the characters typed from the keyboard (click on the echo option). In full duplex mode (no local echo selected) you have to rely of the receiving end echoing back characters that you type and that is a function of the software on the receiving device, to echo back the chararcter or not.

As far as nothing being sent when you type, check for none as a handshacking option as already suggested.

Also you have to make sure the baud rate and bits/stop bits configuration values are the same for both the sending (hyperterminal) and the receiving device.

PS: Again there are much better PC serial communications software applications avalible both free and for sale. Many are much easier to configure and provide more information on screen as to settings and modes and status. Some will allow displaying the data in binary, hex as well as ASCII form.
Lefty

Attachments

• hyper.JPG
    hyper.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Leftyretro said:
PS: Again there are much better PC serial communications software applications avalible both free and for sale. Many are much easier to configure and provide more information on screen as to settings and modes and status. Some will allow displaying the data in binary, hex as well as ASCII form.
Lefty

That sounds great! Can you please suggest me any softwares (with links) that can do this?

Many thanks.

PS. Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have now managed to interface an LCD display where typed letters directly appear on the LCD.

AceOfHearts said:
That sounds great! Can you please suggest me any softwares (with links) that can do this?

Many thanks.

PS. Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have now managed to interface an LCD display where typed letters directly appear on the LCD.

My current favorite is Bray terminal, it's freeware and powerful. Sending macros, etc. I've attached the zip file

Lefty

Attachments

• terminal_v1-9b.zip
    217.4 KB · Views: 170
For correct operation you should use a Max232. However, bitbanged RS232 can invert the signal in software and most (I haven't found one that doesn't) PCs will be able to use this signal. Some newer pics have the ability to invert the signal in hardware.

You can also use a transistor to invert the signal. See this thread.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back