Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Question about old Circuit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try the change audioguru suggests but sim seems to indicate most of
the power used by LED and R4, its current limiting R.

Obviously most of the power is used by the LED and resistor, but that's no reason not to design the circuit better - and it would be cheaper with smaller capacitors.

Obviously most of the power is used by the LED and resistor, but that's no reason not to design the circuit better - and it would be cheaper with smaller capacitors.
In that case lets get serious (operating down to 1.35V battery V) -

1640911812298.png

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Since the value of the left transistor's collector resistor is increased then the 47k base resistor value for this transistor can be increased and its timing capacitor value can be decreased for the same timing but less wasted battery current.

Why are there so many different size Energizer D batteries???????????????? My Amazon order got cancelled it was coming from China not sure what the problem was.

Ebay has several, some with different labels and some with almost the same labels. Different prices, some free shipping.

Energizer Industrial Alkaline D

Energizer E95ECOMM-13 Max Alkaline D

Energizer Max D

Energizer Premium D

Energizer MAX D Premium Alkaline D

Last time I checked M34 IC was discontinued and anyone that still has some in stock were crazy expensive $10 each. I think I will check again.

Found M34 LED 2h flashers in England, $4.57 each plus $6.38 postage.
There are replacement parts shown in their current catalog....would of course also have to check production status....

England pretty pricey I gather.....

Well there is always this at 14 cents (max) -

Or buy a flashing led greeting card and hack....

And then (have to check as well) -

3-cent-mcu-1.png

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Last time I checked M34 IC was discontinued and anyone that still has some in stock were crazy expensive $10 each. I think I will check again.

I added the 100 ohm resistor R5 to the bread board nothing seems to have changed expect the way the LED turns off. LED use to turn off quick now it slowly fades away. LOL. Its a bit funny. Next I AD the LDR circuit.

I can't solder to surface mount ICs. I probably need to make my own PC boards just to try surface mount ICs.

100_3305.JPG

They are all the same size, that's what the "D" means. The chemical make up of them may be different though.

If you spend some time to Google you can find answers, here is just one to get you started - https://electronics360.globalspec.c...ces-between-consumer-and-industrial-batteries

After searching, reading, looking at pictures, of 130 Ebay auctions, I found 12 D Energizer Max batteries like I already bought at the store for, $10 & $3 postage = $13. total. I ordered 12 D batteries from a Ebay seller, batteries will be here in a few days.

Last edited:
Energizer.com lists D size battery cells:
1) Eveready Carbon Zinc
2) Obsolete Eveready Industrial Heavy Duty (alkaline?)
3) Eveready Gold alkaline
4) Energizer Industrial (alkaline?)
5) Energizer Max alkaline (sold everywhere)
6) Seven different obsolete cells.

I have only seen Energizer Max alkaline.
I buy Energizer AAA and AA alkaline and Ni-MH cells.

I built the circuit today, thanks to all the people that helped made it work so well. I put R3 & R4 in series because I have no 5K resistor and I like having a full 3 second OFF time. R1 is wired so clock wise rotation increases resistance. I still need to put a sunlight shield over the LRD a 5/8" length of soft drink straw covered with black tape works great. Maybe tomorrow I build 5 more PC boards 12 D batteries will be here next week.

100_3307.JPG

100_3308.JPG

100_3310.JPG

100_3312.JPG

I made 11 new circuit boards then I ran out of transistors & resistors more than a month ago. I ordered new transistors, paid, and message said, your order is in, it will be delivered in 5 days. 2 weeks later no order, when I checked it was cancelled for none payment. I ordered again same thing happed order cancelled for none payment. I had orders from 3 other places cancelled for none payment. I have been using a new AD blocker browser. I used the old browser to reorder and 5 days later everything arrived in the mail. AD blocker browser must be blocking payment. OH well now I know. 18 security lights are working until 1 dies I don't need a replacement. Transistors, LEDs & resistors, all have steel wires that rust away in 12 months, we have high humidity weather. Capacitors are the only parts with wires that do not rust. Coating wires in the past has not worked coating is too thin. I encased some PC boards in melted wax they are doing good so far. Thieves have been breaking into cars middle of the night in the subdivision across the street from us. So far so good no break ins here.

100_3692.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back