Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New guy with a quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaredhammel

First, thank you all for having me! I'm starting a 3D printer build that I'm doing almost entirely from E-Waste I get some great things from printers. One thing I got is this HP touch screen control panel. Does anyone know if there is anything I can use it for?

Attachments

• 20190509_150403.jpg
    20190509_150403.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 108
Modern electronics is very specific and not normally reusable. 3D printer kits can now be bought for around US $150 so why try reinventing the wheel.

Mike.

...why try reinventing the wheel.

Mike.

If you are asking that question on this thread, you missed a critical part of Post #1.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can use it for?

Parts can be usable - IF you can get full technical information on the connections, voltages, data formats, programming etc. required.

Some things are very well documented, like the LCDs or OLED displays used in some older phones.
Other things are completely proprietary and are just "black boxes" with no information at all.

All you can do is dismantle that unit and see if the screen etc. have standard part numbers that may allow the essential technical data to be looked up...

i spent 500$ on my printer, im not happy with it, i couldnt imagine the even sloppier print job we would get from makeshift parts

i spent 500$ on my printer, im not happy with it, i couldnt imagine the even sloppier print job we would get from makeshift parts

Some of the commercial laser printers have hardened stainless steel rods for paper handling that are much straighter/stiffer than the crappy mild steel rods used to assemble the $500 3D printers. We used a combination of recovered stepper motors, steel rods and power supply from four old APPLE and CANON laser printers We are happy with it. It is a variation of a Prussia RepRap

Making the 3D printer wasn't part of the question. Nor was it quality. My buddy built his 3D printer with a 3' x 3' x 3' print area. From metal conduit a lot of E-Waste. Some money on the extruder and hot end and various other things. Spent about $100. It's several times larger than anything you could buy under $1k. And has amazing print quality.

I just threw the screen away. No need to make my time trying to find information on it. I now have 30+ DC motors, one small stepper motor, some drum motors, and not a single stepper motor from 5 printers.

Making the 3D printer wasn't part of the question. Nor was it quality. My buddy built his 3D printer with a 3' x 3' x 3' print area. From metal conduit a lot of E-Waste. Some money on the extruder and hot end and various other things. Spent about $100. It's several times larger than anything you could buy under $1k. And has amazing print quality.

I just threw the screen away. No need to make my time trying to find information on it. I now have 30+ DC motors, one small stepper motor, some drum motors, and not a single stepper motor from 5 printers.

Do any of the motors have more than 2-wires? Those likely have encoders that count rotations (or very small fractions of a rotation as pulses to the cpu).

Do any of the motors have more than 2-wires? Those likely have encoders that count rotations (or very small fractions of a rotation as pulses to the cpu).

Most of them have 4 wires. I cut the actual cables to get most of them out though lol but they still have the small correct boards attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back