Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Network Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I have couple of buttons (5 or 6), needs to connect them to nearby LAN port (Network port).& all the CAT5E cables from these buttons coming to a network switch.Want to decode them & make some relays ON.Is there any way of doing them without going deeper?No need IP address level, is there any way of sending data & decoding over LAN?

I wouldn't have thought so - you need a network connection and a processor - there are countless Arduino examples, and various PIC ones as well - if you don't have an IP address how do expect to access one particular device?.

Obviously a FAR easier method would be to use WiFi, a simple ESP8266, couple of relays and drivers, job done - and again there's endless examples of that on the net.

I started out running CAT5 all over the house but now I am using WiFi. Nice to not run wires.
The EPS8266 is good but I am not good at programming so I looked for a product that just works with out programming.
There are other companies with product.
The Sonoff products have 1 to 4 relays. Work WiFi or 433mhz. Some have buttons. All work with a phone and PC.
The TH10 & TH16 have the option to measure temperature and make decisions based on time and temperature.
1573739882987.png

I started out running CAT5 all over the house but now I am using WiFi. Nice to not run wires.
The EPS8266 is good but I am not good at programming so I looked for a product that just works with out programming.
There are other companies with product

The Sonoff one does use an ESP8266, and there are various examples of how to reprogram it on the net to make it local control only (as supplied it works via a server, presumably in China, and I had a great deal of trouble registering mine on it - but managed it eventually). It's currently controlling a bedroom table light via Alexa :D

As for 'not very good at programming' - you simply download the source code from the examples on-line, add your own WiFi details (as per the instructions) and reprogram the device (again, as per the instructions). So not really any 'programming' required.

I don't want to take over this topic but I think it is related.
I have couple of buttons (5 or 6)
Sonoff and others have buttons in a "remote" looking box. Battery powered.
I am looking at "switch plate buttons" that look like a normal wall switch. The Sonoff ones are only good for 2 or 3A. My idea is not connect them to a light but just leave them sending the on or off command on the network. Then have 15A relays switch to respond to the commands.

Picture of 8 buttons.
1573743214432.png

4 buttons.
1573743266462.png

Switch plate.
1573743348494.png

Wife likes the look of switch plates compared to my usual switches and wires hanging out of a hole in the wall. lol
1573743501969.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back