Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative amplification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleamonkey

hi could anyone tell me why i get a negative gain on this circuit please. i am quite new to op amps and cannot understand why i have not got 10 times gain

Attachments

• Doc1 wheatstone.doc
    31 KB · Views: 173
You have the resistors the wrong way round (the 10K and 1K), so you've got a gain of 0.1 instead of 10.

I would also suggest you post diagrams as GIF or PNG, and not as large DOC files which many people won't be able to view.

Yes, please use PNG.

I also don't have MS Word, just the free viewer program which is a bit flaky.

OpenOffice.org is good but some of the more complex Word documents don't display properly.

I've converted it to PNG but it looks a bit distorted.

What are you trying to do?

It looks like you're trying to make an instrumentation amplifier.

See the Wikipedia article for a schematic.
Instrumentation amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• monkey opamp1.png
    monkey opamp1.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
No I didn't.

What's your point? I was right, an instrumentation amplifier is commonly used to monitor a Wheatstone bridge.

The lousy old 741 opamp has a minimum input resistance of only 300k ohms so it will severely mess up this circuit that has 1M ohm input resistors.

Why is R11 only 0.001 ohms? It should be a piece of wire because the gain of the first two opamps is only 1.

The lousy old 741 opamp has a minimum input resistance of only 300k ohms so it will severely mess up this circuit that has 1M ohm input resistors..
There's no need for the input resistors which should be removed altogether.

The bridge has an putput impedance of 14k which is then fine to drive 300k inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back