Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative air ion generator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

slow_rider

Hello all,

I'm building a negative ion generator for a friend. I'm using a full wave Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier (**broken link removed** with the diodes reversed since I want negative voltage output). I've built 10 stages on an a thick plastic panel. At this point I have two questions:

1. Because of the number of capacitors in the circuit the inrish current will be big, how can I limit it (and how to calculate)?

2. I want to keep the Vout high but limit the current in case someone will touch one of the needles of the ion generator. I have a bunch of 1MOhm 5W rated resistors, I'm thinking to limit the output to 1mA but for that I need to fill a hole in this formula:

Eout = 2n * Epk - Vdrop

n = Stages
Epk = AC input peak volatge

==>

Eout = 2*10 * 311 - Vdrop
Eout = 6220 - Vdrop

Vdrop = [ Iload / (6*f*c) ] * (n^3 +2n)

Iload = Load in Amps
f = freq. Hz
c = Capacitance in Farad
n = stages

(after calculations) ==>

Vdrop = (Iload / 0.000003) * 1020

So the big question is - what is my load? If I'll know that I can calculate the resistor value according to ohm's law.

Any help will be really appreciated!
Thanks

Hello all,

I'm building a negative ion generator for a friend. I'm using a full wave Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier (**broken link removed** with the diodes reversed since I want negative voltage output). I've built 10 stages on an a thick plastic panel. At this point I have two questions:

1. Because of the number of capacitors in the circuit the inrish current will be big, how can I limit it (and how to calculate)?

The inrush current will be small, because the capacitors are small.

2. I want to keep the Vout high but limit the current in case someone will touch one of the needles of the ion generator. I have a bunch of 1MOhm 5W rated resistors, I'm thinking to limit the output to 1mA but for that I need to fill a hole in this formula:

Eout = 2n * Epk - Vdrop

n = Stages
Epk = AC input peak volatge

==>

Eout = 2*10 * 311 - Vdrop
Eout = 6220 - Vdrop

Vdrop = [ Iload / (6*f*c) ] * (n^3 +2n)

Iload = Load in Amps
f = freq. Hz
c = Capacitance in Farad
n = stages

(after calculations) ==>

Vdrop = (Iload / 0.000003) * 1020

So the big question is - what is my load? If I'll know that I can calculate the resistor value according to ohm's law.

You have no load.

I suggest you try googling for circuit digrams and see how it's usually done.

I've searched online for a number of times and found the general way these devices are built, but each one is a little different so there are only general guidelines.

Normally, at no load I can say Vdrop = 0 so Eout is 6220V idealy. I can use that figure to calculate the resistor and the fact it will drop when being touched will make sure I "overprotect" the circuit.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Well I won't comment on the usefulness or not of negative ion generators, but I was under the impression that the voltage needs to be within certain limits? - or it sprays metal ions in the air for you to breath in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back