Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negativ voltage from Positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

Hi
I havent found any thing on the forums about this
Anyways

I need to create +- 5Volt and have 12 volts as supply.
I know there is a way to do this (not that i can recall it :confused: ) by using some caps and res and diodes.
Does anyone have a link or a schematic (whit formulas if any, on how to calculate the values)

Nigel Goodwin said:
You need to post exact details of what you're trying to do, a generic solution may not be the easiest solution for your requirements.

Well i need +-5v to an opamp (yes its analog) it will bee used in a car so ~12volt as supply. I dont need much current

That's hardly 'exact'? - but the normal method is two resistors and a capacitor to form a 'virtual earth'. However, that depends on the exact configuration.

Im going to mak a litteli line driver for my reversing camera as the picture is bad on ca 5m cable and not on 2m cable (witch isent enought).
Exact enought?

I take it you are aware of the frequency and power output requirements for a video amplifier?, you can't just use any old opamp.

It makes it more difficult because the 'virtual earth' method requires capacitor coupling, and to drive video into 75 ohms requires a large value coupling capacitor.

Are you sure the cable isn't faulty?, or the wrong type?, 5m shouldn't be a problem?.

Funnily enough we've just fitted a reversing camera on a van at work, but it's wireless - really cool thing, and only cost about £50 for camera and monitor.

Yeh i know its cool...
Well im using a TI opa2690 for it (it should do the trick)
No the cable isent faulty. I have tried several and it seems that the output from my (crappy) camera is at the (bottom)edge of what it should be
I was thinking about using it as a single suppy but i dont know wheter the cvbs signal svings around 0v or if i can lift it to 2,5 volts and have a 1volt sving.

But the OPamp is for a "power switch" (i have bustet a couple of fuses using everything on revers light), make it as a impedance sencer of sort

Kryten said:
Yeh i know its cool...
Well im using a TI opa2690 for it (it should do the trick)
No the cable isent faulty. I have tried several and it seems that the output from my (crappy) camera is at the (bottom)edge of what it should be

For a 'quick and dirty' solution, remove the 75 ohm load resistor in the monitor! - that will probably cure your problem!.

Kryten said:
Souds really dirty. But i will try anything

The load resistor cause a 50% drop in the signal, so removing it effectively gives you a gain of two!. Generally doing so has no ill effects at all, and I have an old B&W monitor where it's switchable.

How about a one transistor 'booster' at the camera end if taking the 75 ohm resistor out of the monitors input does not work ?

Doh !! :eek:

*note* Engage brain BEFORE keyboard....

How about a TWO transistor 'booster' at the camera end if taking the 75 ohm resistor out of the monitors input does not work ? :D

Last edited:
If all you want is a + and -5V, just grab yourself a 7805 and a 7905. Real easy.

A 7905 needs a negative input voltage. There isn't a negative input voltage.
That is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back