Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdp1988

hi, i got no experience with electronics or anything, but ive recently been given a project which requires a fair bit of knowledge on it. i was wondering if i could get any help from anyone here as i need some pretty urgently.
i got a basic knowledge of how make a circuit, and a basic knowledge of what electrical components do what, but when it comes down to it im pretty useless. what i need to do is build a circuit with about 9 LEDS and these LEDS have to turn on randomly one at a time say in about 30 secound intervals. at the same time but i need to have another circuit, with another 9 LEDS attached to 9 variable resistors so dat i can have them become brighter and duller as i wish. can anyone help me out? maybe diagram or sumthin lol, cause i seriously got no idea what to do any help would be much appreciated

Why were you given a project that you know nothing about?
Why don't they educate you in electronics for a few years?
Why don't they use somebody today who already knows electronics?

man i got no idea why theyve given me this project. i study industrial design, and there is a big design aspect to the project aswell, but i dnt know why theyve done this, i jus need to do it best i can but, can anyone help?

Can you define "random" as it applies here? I mean, you could cascade nine 555's, and set a different timing to each - but it would be the same sequence every time.

yeah thats one thing i have heard of a 555 timer, thats fine, cascading nine of them together even though its the same sequence, thats random enough really, aslong as its a different one lighting up every time, but i still got no idea how to make it or what i would need, if someone could help me with a circuit drawing then thats all i would need to follow from

Last edited:
'they' are my university lecturers, i study industrial design at university. its basically product design, nothing to do with building circuits and stuff its more arty stuff conceptual designs and stuff, designing innovative things, i guess having a knowledge of electronics could help but its not that necessary. and my task was to design a product to help a certain group of people, my lecturer wants me to build the circuit for my product aswell i dnt know why hes being so difficult, out in the real world id hire an electrical engineer to collaborate with me and help me out with it, but i cant teach myself the ins and outs of this trade in such a small amount of time, thats why.

Different one each time? The cascaded 555's won't work for that. This is getting into the area where a microcontroller is much better.

Especially since it's been my experience (over and f'cking OVER again) that when people say "random" they really mean a "sequence". So, after you bust your chops making it random, the ******** start to whine about how "Well thaaaat one lit up laaaast time." or "Why hasn't this one lit up yet?" %#@&*!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back