Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Metal detector circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sort of metal detector do you need?
BFO
TR
VLF
PI
It depends on what you want to detect. Gold, coins, cables or water pipes ?

makehand said:
Hello...

I have need to metal detector.

Please,send here metal detector of good quality.

Here is a good PI Detector:
**broken link removed**

Here are some pictures of it as built by other persons:
**broken link removed**

I need a circuit which can give a single digital yes or no output if there is any metal (coin, rings etc.) at minimum 10cm....sounds very simple....

I need it as part of an autonomous survey vehicle which needs to log the position of the metals (antiques!)...so I just need a suitable circuit that could tell my processing system 'yes I have detected something now'.

I need a circuit which can give a single digital yes or no output if there is any metal (coin, rings etc.) at minimum 10cm....sounds very simple....

I need it as part of an autonomous survey vehicle which needs to log the position of the metals (antiques!)...so I just need a suitable circuit that could tell my processing system 'yes I have detected something now'.

Definately NOT a very Practical idea for a metal detector.
You obviously haven't used a metal detector.

It will either trigger for very little thing or it will only detect certain objects at a specific distance. Missing MANY Others that you want.

Metal is detected by the Type of metal, Size and Shape of it, also distance by the type of soil its in and other factors.
Metal detecting is as much an Art as it is a Science.

Last edited:
Yep that sounds about right chemelec! But now all I can see is all the coins iron and ever other metal thing it come across as the vehicle tracks at .002mph.lol

-BaC

I need it as part of an autonomous survey vehicle which needs to log the position of the metals (antiques!)...so I just need a suitable circuit that could tell my processing system 'yes I have detected something now'.**SNIP**

Definately NOT a very Practical idea for a metal detector.
You obviously haven't used a metal detector.

**SNIP**

Elecronic Metal Detector

Yep that sounds about right chemelec! But now all I can see is all the coins iron and ever other metal thing it come across as the vehicle tracks at .002mph.lol

-BaC

"YOU CAN USE METAL DETECTOR IDEA TO DETECT THE PRESENCE OF A VEHICLE ON THE ROAD"

That would not be a smart use of this technology, optical or rf would be better at object avoidance. I am guessing that what you mean by your reply.

-BaC
"YOU CAN USE METAL DETECTOR IDEA TO DETECT THE PRESENCE OF A VEHICLE ON THE ROAD"

chemelec knows metal detectors, I'd listen to him... Would electrical noise from the vehicle make it difficult to detect metals reliably. Seems like the detection coil is like a radio antenna, and would pick up motors and stuff occasionally.
Would be cool to send out a robot, and have it map out points of interest. Or set one loose on a beach, then have it page you if it finds something for you to dig up (bottle caps).

From doing a lot of reading and research on metal detectors (haven't bought or built one yet!) I was under the impression that it is in general very much a dynamic type sensor. What I mean is that the search coil is constantly moved by a person in varying sweeps speeds and arc lengths and one is looking for changes and blips to try and isolate the 'hits'.

So yes, it sounds like it is very much more an art where on has to analyze the results and I would think that just bolting one to an bot and expecting a yes/no results as it travels over a path would probably not be very effective at all.

Lefty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back