Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need I2C link

Status
Not open for further replies.
You won't find one, because I2C require programmability - so you require a processor (PIC or AVR etc.) between the transceiver and sensor, to read the sensor and then send the data to the transceiver (coded as and if required).

What I want to do is this:
IR temperature sensor > RF link > Arduino > Data Logging Shield
But going by what Nigel says, I'm probably better off with an IR sensor that has an interface other than I2C? Any suggestions?
Maybe I could put an Arduino Trinket with this IR sensor, that presumably would work. Given my druthers I'd prefer a more direct link.

There would be several hurdles to overcome no matter how you go about implementing this. I noticed that you haven't mentioned what your expected range is. Do you expect to be able to receive your data from across a room or a football pitch? Direct Line of Sight or through a building etc. This will directly influence your choice of RF transceivers, what antennae to use etc.

The IR Temp Sensor is acting as a slave device, as will pretty much any other sensor type device with a serial interface, although there are exceptions. So simply swapping your sensor to one with a different serial interface won't help you here. Any other type of simple sensor like an NTC etc will require that you also build the interface that will communicate across your RF Link. To simplify what you need to do, you will need some intelligence that can act as a master device at your sensor end of the link, to instigate and control communication with the IR Temp Sensor using the i2c or any other small serial bus, and then pass that information over an RF link back to your Arduino. The sensors themselves do not have the ability to do this on their own. Now you could use another Arduino or something similar at the IR Temp Sensor end, but that is overkill when just a simple low pin count Microcontroller would do all that you need and more besides. The Microcontroller will then act as your "Intelligence" at the sensor end, keeps your parts count low, remote sensor size small and will likely have the lowest power requirements over other possible solutions.

There are quite a few examples of remote temperature sensing using the Arduino on the web, maybe you should have a look at them to get a better idea of what is likely to be involved in your own project :)

What I want to do is this:
IR temperature sensor > RF link > Arduino > Data Logging Shield
But going by what Nigel says, I'm probably better off with an IR sensor that has an interface other than I2C? Any suggestions?

It doesn't really matter what sensor you use, you're still likely to require a processor in order to interface it to an RF link - unless you can find a sensor that provides data in a suitable format? (which seems highly unlikely?).

Just use a small 8 pin processor between sensor and RF link - bearing in mind that depending on the 'intelligence' of the RF link you might need to add Manchester coding or similar (and decoding at the receive side as well).

Reactions: 3v0
Thanks for the assist.
The plan now is to use an Arduino Nano with the Arduino library for this sensor and the Arduino Software I2C library.
Looks like this now:
Sensor > Arduino Nano > serial data > RF transmitter > RF receiver > serial data > Master Arduino for display and logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back