Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

techrcc

im currently installing a sterio system in my car.now as you all now that all amps have a remote relay on them, that relay should be connected to the radio themselfs.so that when you turn the radio on, the amp should turn on at the same time. now my question is that, I want to connect a electronic switch to that remote wire, almost like a remote starter so i could have control of the amp . any diagrams of how to build one would be appriciated or any advise of any sort would be too tks

It needs 12V from your car battery to turn on.

Just go from the battery to a switch, from the switch to the remote input.

i have a 4 gauge wire comming from the battery to the amp, well it goes from battery--to fuse---to 4 gauge wire then to a 2 farrad capacitor then finally to AMP its a 1500watt(rms) amp. I dont want the switch to be inline, with the main power supply.. I want to make a switch on the remote relay of the amp. that way im only dealing with lower currents and voltages...its sort of like a car remote starter but instead to starting your car itll turn on my amp. so if anyone could help me with the design i would really appreciate it...tks

techrcc said:
its a 1500watt(rms) amp

I think you're seriously out on the spec, car amplifiers are usually massively over rated! - a 1500 watt RMS amplifier is going to take about 200 amps from your battery!.

But regardless of that, simply providing a low current 12V switched supply to the amplifier will turn it ON, the main supply in the amplifier is usually switched by a relay fed from this line.

yea i now about the amps being way over rated........ pissses me off when i think about how much i payed for it.....But lets forget about all that .....i just want to now if theres any way i could build a remote switch on a bread board using the 12v power supply from the car...is there any good cites on the net or is there any schematics on how to build a remote switch?????????????

techrcc said:
yea i now about the amps being way over rated........ pissses me off when i think about how much i payed for it.....But lets forget about all that .....i just want to now if theres any way i could build a remote switch on a bread board using the 12v power supply from the car...is there any good cites on the net or is there any schematics on how to build a remote switch?????????????

You're making it far more complicated than it is, all it needs is a switched 12V supply - a simple on/off switch from the 12V supply to the wire for the amplifier is all that's required - no electronics at all.

This, of course, supposes that the amplifier requires a 12V signal to turn it on, but all ones I've seen that use a switch wire do. I have seen some which don't use a switch wire, they just turn on triggered by the incoming audio signal - obviously turning off when there's been no audio for a certain length of time.

techrcc said:

Like i said in my first post , you just need 12V with a switch to the REMOTE of the amp. This can be a thin, little wire...

I wasn't suggesting you put a switch on the main power line...

Nigel Goodwin said:
techrcc said:
its a 1500watt(rms) amp

I think you're seriously out on the spec, car amplifiers are usually massively over rated! - a 1500 watt RMS amplifier is going to take about 200 amps from your battery!.

Depends on the useage the amp is designed for. I agree, normal caramps - to listen to - won't ever reach that much. But amps designed and used for DB-dragging can go far beyond 1500Watt RMS.

Our team's demo car has 10 optima yellowtop batteries and they are drained within minutes :shock:
But that's pure for db-dragging - It doesn't produce any music, just noise :lol:

Ok guys, i think your not getting my question................the car amp i have installed; as off right now, turns on every time i turn the radio on..... yes theres a remote wire(blue) on the the amp itself that makes the amp turn on every time i turn the radio on......ok, so my question is that i want to splice that remote wire from the amp, so i could add my own switch to it... The switch itself is what i wanna design ...i want that switch to be wireless, i want to push a button that will turn on the amp electronically...I now i could just go to radio shack and buy a 12v automotive switch and hide it under my seat but i dont want that...... so if anyone could help me out a little with the design, i would appreciate it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back