Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with ignition coil driver circuit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
viper77707 said:
one small problem is that i have to wait for a parent to take me :p LOL!i AM only 14 but don't tell me how i shouldn't be using high voltage and w/e else..im perfectly fine with hv cause i have been doing it for years ^~^ i have been shocked so i purty much KNOW not to touch anything..once again thank you i really appreciate what everyone has told me..all of the stuff you guys have suggested will go into my new circuit.
hi,
The Res/Cap and the power zener should clamp the 2N3055 collector voltage to a level suitable for the 2N3055. Dont forget the ballast resistor.

Keep the pulse drive width as short as possible for a consistant spark.

On this thread:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/tachometer-signal-input.9146/
I left a primary ignition scope pattern (not secondary as the last reply would indicate) and this link that explains all about ignition systems. **broken link removed** Ballast resistors were only to keep points from burning, electronic ignition doesn’t use them.
I made one years ago using a NPN power transistor (before I knew about MOSFETs). It was making weak sparks until I added the ignition condenser like it would be in a points type ignition. It worked great with long blue sparks and the transistor didn’t get hot. My problem was that it petered out before the 20 KHz that I wanted. (not enough dwell time)

Attachments

• coildrive circuit.jpg
    coildrive circuit.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3,117
i feel so stupid................since none of the schematics show which of the pins to connect i didnt get the pins connected right except for the first time :p..thanks to sam barros and his powerlabs i think i got it right.....but thanks to you guys i can now protects my circuit!thanks again!

ok i have tried to make it and it didnt work so i give up...now im using a flyback transformer....but now i need a running flyback :/

Try this circuit. It generates short pulses the same way as used for cattle fences. The pulse widths are selectable 14.5, 24.0 and 31ms.

However there is a small disadvantage to the circuit. If the timer IC quits working and remains on high output state it will fry the power MosFet since the ignition coil will saturate and finally make a dead short. To avoid frying of the transistor I strongly recommend the fuse as drawn in the schematic. If for some reason you can't obtain a capacitor of 220n/630V you may select a 470n/630V type. In that cas R1 has to be changed to 8K2 and R2/R3 to 4K7.

If the pulses repeat too slowly short R5.

**broken link removed**

Remark: That device works with electronic ignition system coils only!

Sorry the wiring error, here is the corrected circuit.

**broken link removed**

Hi Boncuk can you please tell me what do you mean by electronic ignition system coils?

I have an old ignition coil it doesn't have any electronic component inside.Can I use your circuit to drive my old ignition coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back