Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help (with Flip Flop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbnerd123

Flip-flops have both synchronous and asynchronous inputs. Can i get a description of each input type and a example of each?

Also can anyone give me a diagram/description on how a active low input and a active high input look like?

What is the basic function of a flip-flop and transparent latch?

What functions do the synchronous and asynchronous inputs serve on flip-flops and transparent latches? Provide an example of each.

What are some of the typical applications of flip-flops? Describe how each of these applications work.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I don't like to appear nasty, but have you ever tried to opened the your textbook?

Also, I know wikipedia isn't always the most mature source for teaching stuff, but you could at least tried to read this.

I could always told you the answers, but you wouldn't have benefit anything from that at long term.

Good luck :)

Heh; if I didn't know better, I'd have guessed that the O.P. simply copied out a quiz from their class for us to answer here.

Lazy, lazy.

Regarding this entire forum:

I hate to bring up this inconvenient question, but is it possible that having such a forum may do more harm than good?

I mean, if one helps a student skate through a class with a passing grade, but in the meantime they haven't really learned what they're supposed to learn, is that a good thing?

Do we really want EEs out there who don't really understand the concepts of electronics? Do we want our world to be designed, built, troubleshot and repaired by people with huge holes in their knowledge of the subject?

I'm just sayin' ...

Lazy, lazy.

Regarding this entire forum:

I hate to bring up this inconvenient question, but is it possible that having such a forum may do more harm than good?

...... I'm just sayin' ...
I think this is a really good question to ask. I am only new to this forum, but this was my first thought on arriving.

I agree with you 100%.

Why are people doing other people's homework for them?

EDIT: ..... and why does this forum encourage such behavior?

Last edited:
Without the homework forum these same posts show up in other forums where they are less appropriate.

The student looking for someone to do his homework seldom gets that.

There are times when students are putting int the work but need a bit of help. In such cases it is a good thing to help them understand.

There are times when students are putting int the work but need a bit of help. In such cases it is a good thing to help them understand.

I thought of that. But then it occurred to me: isn't that properly the role of, oh, I don't know, teachers?

Most experienced members don't do the homework for the OP, they give hints and pointers to information sources.

When you have been on the Forums for while you will quickly recognise the OP's who want a little guidance and the ones who want to be spoon fed,

You are under no obligation to reply to an OP, if you dont like what you see, just ignore the thread.

I had to smile when I saw this.
Do we really want EEs out there who don't really understand the concepts of electronics? Do we want our world to be designed, built, troubleshot and repaired by people with huge holes in their knowledge of the subject?

When you have been on the Forums for while you will quickly recognise the OP's who want a little guidance and the ones who want to be spoon fed
I liked that saying. Must remember that one :)

With all that said, dumbnerd123, if you give us some idea of what you understand about Flip Flops besides just repeating the questions from your homework, we might be more likely to help you. Most people are willing to help you with your homework, but not doing it for you.

If you know nothing about Flip Flops and latches then you need to do some research on that before you ask homework questions here.

Yep, hate these threads. Spoon feeding vs genuine questions. To aid in the understanding, I'll just give the following hint:

synchronous - dependent on a clock pulse

asynchronous inputs - independent of a clock pulse.

That should help along with the textbook. Assuming you have one.

as other members have said I will not spoon feed you this stuff but guidance? sure. That's why we're here.

Check out:

D Flip-Flops
**broken link removed**

I suggest doing a lot of reading. Read about FF's or ANY ELECTRICAL concept over...and over...and over. Really think about what's going on. If you're a undergrad EE you're going to need to learn this quick. If you don't you will graduate and be a box of hammers. No one hires boxes of hammers. That's the only way I've been able to "get" this stuff. Currently I'm bored at my current job and am learning FPGA's on the side. Every day I do a little reading...read about different things on FPGA's to hit the concepts at different angles. Then when you get to the quizzes they are easy. I've already taught myself some cool stuff on FPGA's and am starting to do some "real" stuff with it. Plus you gotta love this stuff. If you don't then I suggest some other degree....sorry to be so blunt.

so do some reading. get some understanding of a FF and then come back here. Ask some intelligent questions and then BAM! We will hook you up with all the info you need. It's that easy.

-mike

I must say guys, this forum is indeed not here to spoon fed people. BUT I am personally studying Electronic Engineering (first year) and without this forum I would probably NOT be able to do most of my studying. Teachers/lecturers are NOT always that good and we need people like you for hints and maybe an alternative explanation for a few concepts. Of course just waiting to be spoon fed is NOT what should be encouraged, but showing examples, pointing to good sources of information and with a few hints and tips learning is much better and even fun.

If I student doesn't try to look for the information him/herself then I dont think anyone here should bother responding, but if the student has a very specific question and has clearly thought about the problem and has read up on it then a bit of guidance will work wonders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back