Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with a circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

compaqxp

Ok so I'm not new to circuit's, what I am new to is using AC power to power devices I make. I'll try to explain my problem to the best I can, and hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Ok so to start off this is a Circuit taking 120V AC and turning it into a total of about 51 DC volts to power a radio. That 51 Volts DC will then de divided in 41V, 2V and 4V to power 3 different parts of the radio. To get an idea of what I mean you can look at this image here.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Connor/mac/120v8.png

It's what I need to do between the 120V AC and the Three DC's, that I don't know what I have to do. If you need I'll upload a full Schematic for the radio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use a mains adaptor (wallwart) to convert 120VAC to 6V to 12VDC which is the sort of voltage range required for a radio.

compaqxp said:
Ok so I'm not new to circuit's, what I am new to is using AC power to power devices I make. I'll try to explain my problem to the best I can, and hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Ok so to start off this is a Circuit taking 120V AC and turning it into a total of about 51 DC volts to power a radio. That 51 Volts DC will then de divided in 41V, 2V and 4V to power 3 different parts of the radio. To get an idea of what I mean you can look at this image here.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Connor/mac/120v8.png

It's what I need to do between the 120V AC and the Three DC's, that I don't know what I have to do. If you need I'll upload a full Schematic for the radio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From the sound of this, This is an Older, Tube type Battery Operated Radio?

If So, You will need to get a Suitable Power Transformer. Maybe even Two transformers.

These voltages you require will Probably be at Different Current ratings.

The 45 Volts is probably the B+ supply.

Not sure if the 2 and4 volts are both Filament voltages or what? But if so, they are most likely at a Higher current than the B+.

Sorry that I didn't mention about the type of radio it was. Your right chemelec it is a tube radio.
The 45V is the B+, 2 Volts is the filament voltage and 4 Volts I's for a few lights on it. I'll upload the Schematic for all to see.

compaqxp said:
Sorry that I didn't mention about the type of radio it was. Your right chemelec it is a tube radio.
The 45V is the B+, 2 Volts is the filament voltage and 4 Volts I's for a few lights on it. I'll upload the Schematic for all to see.

Yes I am Quite Familiar with those Older Tube Radios.

The Easiest way is to wind a Custom Trasnsformer.

And I looked through my transformers and may have on that can be modified for this.

BTW, I'm in BC, Canada.

chemelec said:
Yes I am Quite Familiar with those Older Tube Radios.

The Easiest way is to wind a Custom Trasnsformer.

And I looked through my transformers and may have on that can be modified for this.

BTW, I'm in BC, Canada.

Ok, well I search a bit about Winding a custom one on google for a while. I've got a few transformers that aren't in use, form a few old tube radios, If there a possibility they could be modified some how?

I've got quite a bit a family in BC:)

Hi, It depends on the transformers you have.
Some can be modified somewhat easily, but many Not easy at all.

If you Email me and send me your Phone number, I can call you Free of charge to discuss this.

Or if you go to my website below, you will find my Phone number just below my email address, should you choose to call me instead.

"And I am NOT out to SELL or Charge you Anything".

chemelec said:
Hi, It depends on the transformers you have.
Some can be modified somewhat easily, but many Not easy at all.

If you Email me and send me your Phone number, I can call you Free of charge to discuss this.

Or if you go to my website below, you will find my Phone number just below my email address, should you choose to call me instead.

"And I am NOT out to SELL or Charge you Anything".

I took a look at the ones I have an while I'm no expert they don't look very easy to modify.

I may give you a call in the next few days, once I get a chance. I'd have you call me but I never know when I'll be at home to answer the tele.

Here's some more info if it helps any. And Sorry I posted two times in a row.

The tune itself is a #30 and the filament runs off of 2 Volts, however it can run off of a two 1.5V C/D batteries with a 18 ohm resistor added to the circuit.

The B+ itself can be run with 5 9V batteries quite easily and works.

The Lights are standard red LED's and are rated at about ~2V each, and this circuit has two of them.

It all runs fine when it's powered like this, it's just a pain to have to change batteries. I'm not sure if any of the info If any more useful then What I've already given.

A transformer with a twin 18V secondary will give you just under 50V and 25V when rectified.

Use an SMPS to get 2V to 4V from the 25V to 50V provided by the main transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back