Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a christmas present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffman

Hey guys.

I need your help for a christmas gift and I was hoping someone could help me with a cheap circuit with parts I could pick up at radioshack.

I was hoping to have a 6 or 12 volt circuit with the voltage source being a lantern battery where there is a bulb and if you happen to hit a momentary switch at the same time the light is on, you somehow electrically open a lock.

Couple problems. Does this schematic look okay? sorry about the messiness. Also, can you give me some more details on how to wire the 555? I know that the I/Os all need resistors to get it to alternate in a way that will make the person need to push the button for it to work.

Also, Do you know if there is some kind of electronic latch made? It would make this circuit so much simpler to be able to apply voltage where it says latching mechanism, then have to engineer some crazy unreliable set up.

Thanks ahead of time for all your input guys!!

Attachments

• crude diagram.JPG
    crude diagram.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 144
You need to learn how to connect two resistors and a capacitor to a 555 to make an oscillator. Look in Google.
Then you need to see if the total load on the 555 is at or is less than its max current output of only 200mA.
Then you need to see if your battery can supply enough current.

I don't know where you will find a low current door machanism.

Here is a keyset lock that I designed and posted a year or 3 ago. From memory, I think someone in India built and tested it and was pleased with the result.

Virtually any small signal transistors would be suitable.

The combination shown (as an example) is 3247. More or less digits can use used if required. The only restriction is that the same digit can't be used twice (or more).

Attachments

• Combination Lock.gif
    Combination Lock.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back