Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a 555 Timer Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

leglez

Hi there I am trying to make this circuit

**broken link removed**

Here is a link to the original posting:
here

It is basically a life size Operation Board Game. I am wanting to change some parts of his circuit though.

I am not going to be building the mask, and instead I am going to pick up some 10mm red LEDs. I plan on putting 4 in each hole, and then I would like just the LEDs that are in the hole that is touched to lite up. Anyone have any ideas of how to make that possible?

My list of stuff to do this project:

Buzzer
**broken link removed**
555 Timer
Battery Holder
Bread Board
Capacitor
Potenomitor
10K Ohm Resistor
1K Ohm Resistor
Metal Tongs
Wire
Flashing

Is that everything I am going to need? Thanks!

I am not going to be building the mask, and instead I am going to pick up some 10mm red LEDs. I plan on putting 4 in each hole, and then I would like just the LEDs that are in the hole that is touched to lite up. Anyone have any ideas of how to make that possible?

!

A seperate circuit with each hole, with + and - of the battery common to all

Hi there I am trying to make this circuit

hi,
When you say 'touch a hole' do you mean the player pokes his finger into a hole.
[its impossible to actually touch a hole with your finger.:)]

If a player has to poke a hole or press an area, you could have a small microswitch at the base of the hole.
The contacts would connect the correct LED's that have to flash.

Last edited:
Basically the holes w/ flashing is just a piece of roof flashing, a type of metal. The kitchen tongs are just regular metal kitchen tongs, when the kitchen tongs touch the flashing it makes the buzzer go off and the one led.

In my variation I am going to have 4 different boxes all with metal flashing. Depending on which one the tongs touch I want that box to light up with the 4 leds that are in it.

k7elp60 could you explain your idea a little more? I haven't messed with any circuitry in years and am by far not the best with it.

I assume you are using the 555 timer to keep the LED's for a short time after you touch the flashing with the tongs. Build a different 555 circuit for each hole and use the battery for all four holes. since the tongs are at the - side of the battery each time you touch a different hole the LED's will light up for that hole.
As a side note the timing for the 555=1.1RC so if you want the LED's on for about a second the pot needs to be about 1M.

To be quite honest I am not sure what I am trying to do with the 555 timer haha. I was just reading that guide I posted. This one right here. How complex with it be to build a 555 circuit for each hole? Sorry I have never really done anything with 555 timers before.

Could you by chance link me to a 1M pot on Radioshacks website? I thought that was what 1k was. Would 10k = 1M?

Could you link me to a 1M pot? I though 1k was = 1M. So would 10K be equal to 1M?

Hi leglez,

No, 10k = 0.01M. 'K' stands for 'kilo' (one thousand), 'M' stands for 'mega' (one million).

So 1000Ω = 1kΩ, which is usually written as 1k. And 10,000Ω = 10k. And 1,000,000Ω = 1M. And so on.

Note: if you run into something which says something like '4k7' (and you will), that means 4.7k. It's written with the 'k' where the decimal point should go for historical reasons (and it's one less key to hit when typing ;) ).

Make sense?

Torben

Could you link me to a 1M pot? I though 1k was = 1M. So would 10K be equal to 1M?

hi,
No, 10K is not equal to 1M.

Going up in decades 1K=1000R,, 10K=10,000R,,100K=100,000R and 1M0 = 1,000,000R.

EDIT: Morning Torben, beat me to it this time..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi leglez,

I think what 'K7' is saying is to have a complete 555 circuit for each hole.

Ok I gave up on the idea of having each separate compartment light up. I am just going to have 1 LED light up, when any of the compartments are touched. So is this everything I need to make the same exact circuit posted in the first post?

But instead of the pot I have listed use this one:

Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back