Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help making a variable input constant output regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevSpur

Hi I need Help I’m trying to make a regulator that can take variable voltage from 30v to 100v ac input to about 15v dc output if any one can help point me in the right direction or have a circuit diagram that would be great

With that specification I suspect the cost of sourcing components and building the regulator yourself would be greater than buying an off-the-shelf one. Have you checked to see if one is available commercially?

We have found buying the components and building ourselves is far cheaper at the moment we are using mosfets and it works great but the inconsistency of the input voltage does not help keeping a steady output voltage

Hi I need Help I’m trying to make a regulator that can take variable voltage from 30v to 100v ac input to about 15v dc output if any one can help point me in the right direction or have a circuit diagram that would be great

my theory is, uncommon requests like this mean we are trying to solve your unusual solution to a common problem - essentially, we are solving your solunion rather than solving your core problem.

Can you please explain the source of the variable AC supply and what kind of device requires 15v @ 60Amps.
...and, is your AC source able to really supply 900W of power when it is delivering only 30VAC or will we see a significant sag from the supply?

my guess is you have a wind turbine or hydroelectric paddle wheel making some AC but that is just my fun to see if I am right. Now I need your answers.

my theory is, uncommon requests like this mean we are trying to solve your unusual solution to a common problem - essentially, we are solving your solunion rather than solving your core problem.

Can you please explain the source of the variable AC supply and what kind of device requires 15v @ 60Amps.
...and, is your AC source able to really supply 900W of power when it is delivering only 30VAC or will we see a significant sag from the supply?

my guess is you have a wind turbine or hydroelectric paddle wheel making some AC but that is just my fun to see if I am right. Now I need your answers.
So you are very close it is a stator on a motorbike, we have calculated and tested that our stator gives around 600watts at 4000rpm so we want 900watts to be safe so the variable ac is from the different rpm, hope I answered your questions but if you have any more questions I’m happy to answer

So you are very close it is a stator on a motorbike, we have calculated and tested that our stator gives around 600watts at 4000rpm so we want 900watts to be safe so the variable ac is from the different rpm, hope I answered your questions but if you have any more questions I’m happy to answer

It's now a completely different question, with no relation to the original one at all.

So presumably what you're looking for is a charging regulator for a motor bike?.

It's now a completely different question, with no relation to the original one at all.

So presumably what you're looking for is a charging regulator for a motor bike?.
No not really we will be using it to charge the bike but we are using it to power another device that will be in the bike

our stator gives around 600watts at 4000rpm so we want 900watts
Are you sure your stator can deliver 900W without burning out?

It's no different - simply charge the battery as normal, and feed your extra device from the battery - why would you want to do it any other way?.
The reason why we cannot do that is because the regulator on the bike is not efficient and does not supply enough voltage to run our device and charge the battery as it converts it into heat and then that energy is lost

and does not supply enough voltage to run our device and charge the battery
Because you are pulling too much power for the poor little stator on the motorbike. Do not think you can get 900 watts from a bike.
You must have one hell of a headlight? or CB radio? or …… I know a 4k TV. (lol)

Because you are pulling too much power for the poor little stator on the motorbike. Do not think you can get 900 watts from a bike.
You must have one hell of a headlight? or CB radio? or …… I know a 4k TV. (lol)
Yea we know it’s not on all the time we are managing it, we just looking for a regulator that can supply the max power from the stator and then we will manage the rest

Yea we know it’s not on all the time we are managing it, we just looking for a regulator that can supply the max power from the stator and then we will manage the rest

The existing one already does that - it only gets rid of unused energy (as heat) once the battery is fully charged, and it's not been used elsewhere.

I've no idea what you're trying to run from it?, but there have been countless threads on these forums (and others) with people trying to increase the available power from crude stator type alternators on motorbikes that use fixed magnets. Basically you can't, the system is only designed to provide that amount of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back