Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help in converting crystal Oscillator's square wave to sine wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiruwa

As in title, i had bought a 4 pins crystal oscillator which in 50MHz to design a 50Mhz of sine wave for my project. However, the frequency generated from crystal oscillator is a square wave. I would like to ask about is there any way to filtering out the square wave and convert it into a sine wave?

Last edited:
If you are using this in a radio mixer, you should have just built a crystal controlled sine oscillator in the first place. Getting rid of the harmonics from this computer clock module is hard to do, and will likely be the source of images and birdies if the application is a receiver.

As in title, i had bought a 4 pins crystal oscillator which in 50MHz to design a 50Mhz of sine wave for my project. However, the frequency generated from crystal oscillator is a square wave. I would like to ask about is there any way to filtering out the square wave and convert it into a sine wave?

Yes, but...

It can be done with an order 3 passive LC filter with at least a source Z matching network. But unless you have a lot of RF experience in part selection, layout, troubleshooting and tuning RF circuits it would not be recommended.

I would suggest you select something other than an XO clock oscillator with sinewave or clipped sinewave output. However, you may have a very difficult time finding a 50MHz osc. with the requirements you need; 5V and sine output?

no it isnt... it is made into a square wave... buffer the unamplified side of the crystal, as a resonant circuit it is a natural sine wave... though it is often distorted in it's duty cycle.

okie... from most of replies i can conclude that i will be facing a lot of difficulties to convert the waveform into sinewave...so is there any recommendation for me to create a sine wave oscillator? my application is for local oscillator of a radio mixer. Thank you.

Google for "third overtone crystal oscillator circuit". For example, here is a good page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back