Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for basketball scoreboard (double digit up/down counter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
good point..

just one more question..

what the size of the display?

for more 2 displays (away team) 5V is still enough?

Hi,
You cannot increase the LED's brightness a lot, but high intensity LED's, with bigger numbers are available.

If you post a Part No: for the LED you would like to use, I could do a check on the suitability of the IC's.

Last edited:
Hi. Im trying to do this same project and am running into a bunch of issues - Im using all the same chips (74SL47 rather than 74LS247) and can get one digit to light up and count up. As I try to add the second digit all goes to hell. Im using MXA002 5" seven segment LED displays (they look amazing working) Im wondering if there are issues with the diagrams in this thread or if they indeed work completely as drawn. In my very very limited electronic knowledge I know there is an error with the vcc/gnd on the 14 (schmidtt trigger) - they appear to be backwards on the drawing. please advise as to where to go from here

Last edited:
Hey,
still someone here?
The drawing ist exactly what I need. So thank you for that!

I want to built an up down reset counter with 3 digits. So i´m taking the drawing of the "basic 3 decade up/down counter and combine it with the "two digits up down counter" by using its 74ls14 drawing. that should work, right? I also attached the combined drawing.

I have a question about the 5v Input and the 100n and 100u capacitor. are those two before all the other 5v inputs (on the chips and the 7seg display) or only before the 7seg display (because there the input are not marked red).

the 5v input (on the right hand side) on the 74LS247 isnt "saved" with an capacitor. is that right?

And one last question: beacause here in berlin i can not find the 74LS192 chip. Could i also use the 74LS193 and use your drawing?
here is a link of the datasheet for the 74ls192 and 193 http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/motorola/SN74LS193.pdf'

Thanks a lot so far,
Paul
schaltplan_zählwerk.jpg

Last edited:
i can not find the 74LS192 chip. Could i also use the 74LS193
No, the'192 is a decade counter, ie it counts from 0 to 9. The '193 is a four bit binary counter, ie it counts from 0 to 15.

I am sure that somewhere in Germany there are some 74LS192 chips!

the 5v input (on the right hand side) on the 74LS247 isnt "saved" with an capacitor. is that right?
There is a decoupling capacitor on pin16 of the '247, just connect pins 3,4,5 to pin16, it will be OK.

JimB

Hey JimB,
thank you for your help!

So I´ll find the 74LS192 chip. And connect the pins 3,4,5 as you said (see picture below).
Maybe you can also help me with the power-supply-thing which i´m not shure about.
I did different drawings (in blue so you know what i changed) on the drawing. Because I´m not shure how to connect the powersupply properly to the chips and to the 7seg Display. What do you think, picture (1) or (2) or none of those? does the CA sign on the displays mean Capacitor?

(1)
schaltplan_zählwerk_ergänzt4.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2)
schaltplan_zählwerk_ergänzt2.jpg

Last edited:
Common Anode.

hi V,
The decoupling you have shown in your figure #2 is sufficient.
E

hi Eric,
i have just made a counter using your circuit diagram my problem now is that it is skipping count any ideas why is this happening?

Last edited:
I am assuming you are referring to the circuit from post #64. You need to describe the fault more clearly. Is it just the units that is skipping or are the 10's and 100's skipping. Is it consistent. For example does it count 000, 001, 002, 005 or is it random. ? What kind of construction are you using and what kind of power supply are you using ?

Les.

hi Eric,
i have just made a counter using your circuit my problem now is that it is skipping count any ideas why is this happening?
hi bucky,
Which circuit from that group of circuits have you built.?
E

100 nF for each TTL IC is enough for decoupling. The 74247 adds the tails on the 6 and 9's. which the 7447 doesn't.

hi bucky,
Which circuit from that group of circuits have you built.?
E
hi eric,
i tried to build the two digit counter that you posted and it is randomly skipping count and sometimes i have to press the minus switch a couple of times to get a result, do you think a switch debouncer could fix this? if so can you recommend a circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back