Need help finding lens or reflector for 4 ir led on one 20mm star

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps use a diffuser but this would seriously impact the light output. I've seen many LED torches like this and the die shapes were always visible in the focused light output, in one I could even see the bond wires.

The only way I can see a reflector being useful is if the LEDs are aimed directly at the reflector. Is that the intention?

And i put it in a housing that has zoom and what i get is 4 squares too far away one from another, how can i get thees 4 squares to be all in one ?

My interpretation of that phrase is that the TS wants a single, probably very narrow, collimated beam with the summed intensity of all four IRED's. Simple reflectors and lenses might focus the 4 IRED's on a point, but doing even that will require a bit more complex geometry than a single plane mirror. The link I gave describes one way to possibly do it. Theoretically, one might also use a medium that fluoresces in the infrared, but the quantum yield for compounds I checked is very low and would negate the value of having more than just one IRED..

The TS needs to make clear what he wants.

John

I want exactly that.

You cant get a single beam with 4 leds behind a single lens. As you have seen they diverge. You would be better off using 4 discrete leds each with their own lens.
The reflector design would also be problematic without some pretty precise machining, although a setup similar to one of the larger telescopes (but in reverse) with a curved mirror and lens might be do-able. Even that would take some considerable effort though.

i tried with four small laser lenses, but its not good the magnification is to big and the beam does not go far.
i also find a 4 led reflector but to big, i think the reflector is the best solution, but i need to find a proper size.
i also tried with one big reflector that i cut to get it in focus and that was best so far but the light is diverging again after 20-30 meters.

and neophyl can you explain that telescope idea please ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…