Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help building an induction heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to build an induction heater for special porpoises. I go out a lot , like 5- 10 hours, when outside is cold and snow, and my foot are cold so i got an idea to make an induction heater and the coil for heating would be an insulated wire wrapped around my boots or shoes or even directly around my feet covered with aluminum foil, and inside the boot my feet in socks would be wrapped with aluminum foil which would be heated and my feet would be crept worm. I understand that induction heater is capable of heating aluminum foil red hot or even melt it. To prevent burning my skin i would turn it on only for a few seconds or as much as it feels comfortable.

it don't need to be a strong heater just enough to keep me warm. i saw a few induction heaters on YouTube but they are to strong or not well explained.
so i wondered if an induction heater can be made from an emergency fluorescent light driver circuit operating on two 3,7 batteries, that would be great if i can make an induction heater out of that.
here are some pictures:
img0654.jpg

img0658.jpg

img0659.jpg

img0656.jpg

the driver circuit, i think it is also an inverter but high voltage because i can draw does 4-5 mm hot arks from it when i connect the two ends where the lite tube goes. i also tried to connect one end of the tube to one terminal where it belongs an the other end i hold with finger and touch the other terminal with my other hand and i lite up but it has to have a got connection because if not it draws an ark on my skin and it burns.
on the third picture where is the driver, there is a transformer below, it was used to charge a original 6 volt battery which died, so a now run it on two baterys of 3,7 volt, and charging the on another charger.

those twisted white wires are from the charger transformer, red and black are going to batery.

and now i want to make an induction heater out of this if possible, if not please someone give me a tutorial that i can follow.
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you were to build an induction heater for that perpose you'd be looking at a much lower volatge than that.
It is a very inefficient way to do it, a heater wire woven into a sock would be technically much simpler and more efficient, unless you have a lab and experienced engineers available.

i don't have a lab and experienced engineers available, its just me.
i have a few questions:
1. what kind of output current is this board on the picture give ac or dc, and approximately what voltage.
2. can i build an induction heater out of this driver or would it be easier to build it like in this video:
3. can this driver be an inverter that converts 6-9 volts of dc to 6-9 volts of AC and not that high voltage

That looks like a resonant induction heater circuit, probably run from around 12v and the coil volatge is probably about 20v, but dont quote me on that.

For heating your feet you want maximum efficiency to minimize battery use and an induction heater has low efficiency. Resistive wires in socks are near 100% efficient. As Alec said you are way over-engineering this.

OK, i agree an induction heater is not efficient for this purpose. Resistive wire is a much better solution, i am not going to make this, because i will buy original heated sock and solve my problem.

and one more question i have an RF module switch ( works on 100 meters with an litle antenna), with a remote for it, that RF module was used for spinning an TV antenna outside my house, and now i have satellite tv and don't need this one, so i putted a relay on it and now it is a RF switch, but the problem is that it works on 9 volt AC power, and i cant use it with battery and i need it to work with a battery, so can i get 9 volts AC from that board above that a posted pictures before ?

Try it with a 9v battery, it might work, the rectifier will osrt out the polarity for you.

Being 9 VAC powered if it rectifies and filters it with a capacitor the internal systems may be working on roughly 12 VDC.

on the RF module i have 2 led: red ( power ) and green which only flashes when i press the remote, i tried it with 9 volt battery and the red one is glowing but when i press the remote the green is not flashing and the relay is not powered. i looked on the RF board there is no sign of a rectifier that converts AC to DC, and when it is working on ac transformer when i put a relay on the output where was the motor for spinning the antenna the relay is osculating fast so i put a rectifier and a capacitor to convert that AC to DC for the relay - switch.
wp000181.jpg

wp000184.jpg

ok, i will buy a 555 timer and build an small low power inverter.
i will build this one:
**broken link removed**
just instead for the Transistor (2SC4029) i will use irf3205 n-channel mosfet
i saw that from the comments below that irf3205 can work, am i correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back