Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need for current from ZVS oscillator.

Lightium

I need more current. Any suggestions?
Screenshot at 2023-05-03 01-30-34.png

Attachments

• zvs-dc_flyback_300W.asc
    4.9 KB · Views: 138
The primary needs to be centre tapped and fed at that point via a commutation choke.

The choke only smooths out the changeover pulses, when both devices are on.

With two separate chokes, the current in each will be trying to vary as the transistors switch and being stabilised by the choke at the same time, so fighting each other.

Personally, I think those so-called ZVS circuits are rather nasty; they do not switch cleanly and can fail to oscillate, blowing the power devices.

A separate feedback winding with suitable bias would be far better.

Dropping the bias resistors yields more voltage, but the current remains nearly the same.
I was able to drop the bias's to 22 ohms with out suddenly dropping voltage.

Last edited:
These zvs driver circuits are a joke. I made a Jacob's ladder, but everytime the spark rises and disipates the zvs circuit locks up. Also I can blow out the spark and again the zvs locks up.

ZVS drivers are ok if you "feed them" properly. You may want to snub L3 as it could potentially overdrive Q1 and Q2 with too much feedback voltage. Additionally you could increase R3 and R4 to something like 4.7k ... once the circuit takes off, the voltage from L3 takes over the pull-up voltage you have through R3 and R4.

Attachments

• 1683846279230.png
    1683846279230.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 158
These zvs driver circuits are a joke. I made a Jacob's ladder, but everytime the spark rises and disipates the zvs circuit locks up. Also I can blow out the spark and again the zvs locks up.
Useless crappy circuits don't work well - as you've been told many times, you need a low power oscillator, and a (suitably designed) power stage.

ZVS drivers are ok if you "feed them" properly. You may want to snub L3 as it could potentially overdrive Q1 and Q2 with too much feedback voltage. Additionally you could increase R3 and R4 to something like 4.7k ... once the circuit takes off, the voltage from L3 takes over the pull-up voltage you have through R3 and R4.
Sorry it took me awhile. I see I think that's just what it needs.

I would leave off C12 as it might interfere with the overall resonance of the circuit ... the reason for the diode series pair is to limit the voltage, but at the same time make sure there is enough for the B-E junction of the transistors Q1 and Q2. R8 and R10 help to prevent Q1 and Q2 from being over driven. What does the scope look like with the changes? does the circuit still stall when you break the plasma? My suspicion was that L3 would spike when the plasma was broken, thus overdriving Q1 and Q2 into a stall condition.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back