need circuit wiring help

Status
Not open for further replies.

feh

Hi folks.

I have a device (a camera, but that's not important) with an integrated I/O port, which is similar to a contact closure. Actually, it may be exactly like a contact closure, but I'm not sure, since I'm not familiar with such equipment.

Anyway, I'm able to close the output circuit remotely (via software). What I want to do is use this I/O port to turn on a standard electrical device (think of the standard device as a light bulb). The device runs on standard 120V AC.

Please see the attached diagram for information on the I/O port.

My question is: how would I wire up the light bulb to turn on when the I/O circuit is closed? What parts (available from Radio Shack or such) would I need to buy, and how would I connect it all?

Please let me know if I haven't described the situation clearly. Thanks!

Attachments

• io.gif
    32.9 KB · Views: 143
In your datasheet there is just what you want:

Put a relay with its coil between pins 4 (transistor output) and 1 (power).

Don't forget the diode (anode to pin 4, cathode to pin 1). It's there to protect the transistor aganst the relay's voltage spikes.

Select a relay with a coil's voltage that matches your power supply (may be 12 V, but check your power supply), and with contacts rated for at least your load's voltage (120 V AC) and current.

The diode may be almost any type, like 1N4002 or 1N4148.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

So - just to be clear, I would then wire in the light bulb like in the attached image?

Attachments

• io.gif
    68.5 KB · Views: 157
Thanks for the reply.

So - just to be clear, I would then wire in the light bulb like in the attached image?
you may use one of the following.
1. Opto-Triac for small loads.
2. Opto-Diac supported by a TRIAC for heavy loads.
3. Solid-state relay can also be hooked to the pins 1 and 4 on the DC side with proper polarity.

you may use one of the following.
1. Opto-Triac for small loads.
2. Opto-Diac supported by a TRIAC for heavy loads.
3. Solid-state relay can also be hooked to the pins 1 and 4 on the DC side with proper polarity.

Thans mvs sarma, but none of those terms mean anything to me. I truly don't know anything about electronics.

Is my basic wiring diagram for the light bulb correct?

Thanks for the reply.

Almost OK

In the original image there is a "second DC power jack" (at the right of the relay). You should not use it, the "120 V" side of your circuit is:

Outlet (hot side) --- Relay contacts --- light bulb ---- Outlet (neutral)

Be shure to use normal line voltage wiring and safety practices - isolate (or enclose) all exposed connections.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…