Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need circuit wiring help

Status
Not open for further replies.

feh

Hi folks.

I have a device (a camera, but that's not important) with an integrated I/O port, which is similar to a contact closure. Actually, it may be exactly like a contact closure, but I'm not sure, since I'm not familiar with such equipment.

Anyway, I'm able to close the output circuit remotely (via software). What I want to do is use this I/O port to turn on a standard electrical device (think of the standard device as a light bulb). The device runs on standard 120V AC.

Please see the attached diagram for information on the I/O port.

My question is: how would I wire up the light bulb to turn on when the I/O circuit is closed? What parts (available from Radio Shack or such) would I need to buy, and how would I connect it all?

Please let me know if I haven't described the situation clearly. Thanks!

Attachments

• io.gif
    io.gif
    32.9 KB · Views: 138
In your datasheet there is just what you want:

Put a relay with its coil between pins 4 (transistor output) and 1 (power).

Don't forget the diode (anode to pin 4, cathode to pin 1). It's there to protect the transistor aganst the relay's voltage spikes.

Select a relay with a coil's voltage that matches your power supply (may be 12 V, but check your power supply), and with contacts rated for at least your load's voltage (120 V AC) and current.

The diode may be almost any type, like 1N4002 or 1N4148.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

So - just to be clear, I would then wire in the light bulb like in the attached image?

Attachments

• io.gif
    io.gif
    68.5 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the reply.

So - just to be clear, I would then wire in the light bulb like in the attached image?
you may use one of the following.
1. Opto-Triac for small loads.
2. Opto-Diac supported by a TRIAC for heavy loads.
3. Solid-state relay can also be hooked to the pins 1 and 4 on the DC side with proper polarity.

you may use one of the following.
1. Opto-Triac for small loads.
2. Opto-Diac supported by a TRIAC for heavy loads.
3. Solid-state relay can also be hooked to the pins 1 and 4 on the DC side with proper polarity.

Thans mvs sarma, but none of those terms mean anything to me. I truly don't know anything about electronics.

Is my basic wiring diagram for the light bulb correct?

Thanks for the reply.

Almost OK :D

In the original image there is a "second DC power jack" (at the right of the relay). You should not use it, the "120 V" side of your circuit is:

Outlet (hot side) --- Relay contacts --- light bulb ---- Outlet (neutral)

Be shure to use normal line voltage wiring and safety practices - isolate (or enclose) all exposed connections.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back